Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refund processing for unused Service Maintenance Plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, back in March I had an accident where the car was written off and requested for a refund of the never-used service maintenance contract (it was not part of the compensation when the car was written off). Tesla has been difficult to navigate to get to anyone who can help - they told me to go through my local service rep which I've done. I've inquired about this a number of times since starting, but It's now mid-October and still nothing forthcoming. I've raised a grievance through online, but still no response. Any suggestions?

So, back in March I had an accident where the car was written off and requested for a refund of the never-used service maintenance contract (it was not part of the compensation when the car was written off). Tesla has been difficult to navigate to get to anyone who can help - they told me to go through my local service rep which I've done. I've inquired about this a number of times since starting, but It's now mid-October and still nothing forthcoming. I've raised a grievance through online, but still no response. Any suggestions?
I've never heard of a refund given for a service plan. I'd probably ask if they could apply the remaining time to my next vehicle - that's more likely (though I don't know they'd do even that).

• Disagree
Reactions: GreenT

I'd go back to the insurance company that paid the claim and revise your claim -

as long as you did not sign a release, you can do so. Revised total damage.

if someone else hit you and their carrier paid - this is a proper damage item. If their carrier refuses to pay, small claims is your preferred choice - and the person who hit you is gonna love their insurance company. . . .

I think that the loss of the value of the service plan could have been part of any insurance claim/settlement.

So far as I understand it, no it wasn't part of the loss calculation - even asked the rep who was handling the claim from Tesla's side as the write off was being processed. Even if it were so, then in 7+ months SOMEONE could have responded. From talking with the local service reps at Tesla, it's supposed to be possible to refund the unused Maintenance plan, but from what I understand, it's a runaround within Tesla to get the process sorted. It's not transferable, so reimbursement is the only solution.

I've never heard of a refund given for a service plan. I'd probably ask if they could apply the remaining time to my next vehicle - that's more likely (though I don't know they'd do even that).

Well they do refund service plans if you trade the car. Though the rules are sucky; basically if you had any service at all you'll only get a small amount back.

Well they do refund service plans if you trade the car. Though the rules are sucky; basically if you had any service at all you'll only get a small amount back.
I'm glad to hear that -- I've got some unused credit hanging out & was thinking I'd use part of it on a service plan for the X. Though if I were in the OP's situation, I'd rather have it just carry over to my replacement vehicle. If I were getting another Tesla. Which I would be. :)

I'm glad to hear that -- I've got some unused credit hanging out & was thinking I'd use part of it on a service plan for the X. Though if I were in the OP's situation, I'd rather have it just carry over to my replacement vehicle. If I were getting another Tesla. Which I would be. :)

I would have preferred to have the credit carry over to a Maintenance Plan for the new car but it wasn't an option - it's not transferable. I think that Tesla raised the price since I originally bought it, so the only option is to return the credit, then purchase a new plan. Still, I'm happy that I'm able to get the refund.

Reactions: bonnie