Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refused Delivery MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
YIKES... I‘ve heard of 3 MY’s not passing inspection for delivery out of the Rockville location so far in the past day.... my delivery date is scheduled for Sat 28th...but with everything I’m hearing maybe I should just prepare to be disappointed... VIN is 10XX
I took my M3 in for some paint repairs (own fault) last week, and saw two MY's that looked pretty horrible. Can't imagine those went to a customer first!

See the attached file. Is this the weld spatter/blemish you mentioned? This is a still shot of a video from a guy with a MY Performance in Florida. It looks like extra panel bond adhesive Lower right hand side of attached photo

Attachments

• 7B2C9CE9-69D2-4A02-B610-A49AFF5A506D.png
    7B2C9CE9-69D2-4A02-B610-A49AFF5A506D.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 199
What seems even more ridiculous to me is that after 8 years (they've been wrenching on cars since 2012, right? - I won't count the original roadster) people are still defending Tesla and giving them the "teething issues" excuse.

Standing behind a company and its mission is commendable but having this passion blind people to just overlook so obvious quality and rush build issues, is just silly. Good for the OP for refusing delivery but he also shouldn't keep hopes up for much improvement on a later Y.

Heck even I fell in this hole and bought a Model S but that's another story...

Damn my VIN is 13XX, expecting it to be delivered supposedly this sat. postponed because my car was shipped without a "sensor" but that can be bs for all I know. So far, I hear the build quality for the MY are good, this is the first time I hear otherwise. Also, sounds like you really know how to inspect a car lol

I've overlocked a lot of stuff on my 3 when I took possession. It's kind of sad that Tesla can't get the quality up. My Audi A7 was perfect and largely stayed that way for 8 years. Paint was perfect to start and stay way. Anything that popped up Audi took immediate care of. When my console came back with a scratch after they had to remove the dash and I said it wasn't there before they replace the whole $750 part.

When I picked up Tesla they said it's a handbuilt car you have to expect numerous imperfections. Most the service guys said yeah thats not spec.

No other cars in this price range have issues of this magnitude.
Don’t kid yourself, yes they do. The difference is most car makers have much better quality control at the factory and fix major issues before the cars are shipped out. Most dealerships have better inspection / prep personnel who deal with paint issues or other problems before placing a car on the lot or in the showroom or on a custom order, before calling the customer to come pick it up.

We are actually seeing a large increase in misalignment issues and paint issues from all manufacturers as the manufacturing processes become fully automated. Tesla is way ahead of the curve on this one. They are doing better overall, but their factory QC process is still crap and no way to justify it. It seems with the S, X and 3, the QC at the factory greatly improved once their initial backlog of orders was fulfilled. I think in the beginning there’s the attitude of “just ship it and we’ll fix it later”.

Don’t kid yourself, yes they do. The difference is most car makers have much better quality control at the factory and fix major issues before the cars are shipped out. Most dealerships have better inspection / prep personnel who deal with paint issues or other problems before placing a car on the lot or in the showroom or on a custom order, before calling the customer to come pick it up.

We are actually seeing a large increase in misalignment issues and paint issues from all manufacturers as the manufacturing processes become fully automated. Tesla is way ahead of the curve on this one. They are doing better overall, but their factory QC process is still crap and no way to justify it. It seems with the S, X and 3, the QC at the factory greatly improved once their initial backlog of orders was fulfilled. I think in the beginning there’s the attitude of “just ship it and we’ll fix it later”.
That’s just a roundabout way of saying other manufacturers do not have these issues.

They have QC processes, and most importantly, people to sort these issues out before they ever get in front of a consumer.

And on the rare instances where they do make it to a consumer, they offer to fix it and don’t give you a smarmy “take it or leave it”.

See the attached file. Is this the weld spatter/blemish you mentioned? This is a still shot of a video from a guy with a MY Performance in Florida. It looks like extra panel bond adhesive Lower right hand side of attached photo

Yes, that looks nearly identical. Mine was on the top left side of the hatch, and the right side was clean. I agree it could be PBA. When I tried to scratch it with a fingernail I got zero off, does PBA cure rock hard?

For every guy that claims X company's cars have no issues, there's another guy that claims the exact opposite. Given how difficult it is to pick up one of these vehicles in a timely manner, I'd give them the opportunity to fix any cosmetic issues before refusing a car.

Reactions: MikeInFL
For every guy that claims X company's cars have no issues, there's another guy that claims the exact opposite. Given how difficult it is to pick up one of these vehicles in a timely manner, I'd give them the opportunity to fix any cosmetic issues before refusing a car.

I can sympathize with someone turning down delivery of a vehicle in less than perfect condition. I wasn't afforded the opportunity to look at the vehicle yet, the vehicle "failed" pre-delivery inspection the day before delivery. That says a lot for this batch of vehicles. I truly think they rushed them out the door knowing production would have to come to a halt. If the paint job was rushed, I can only imagine what else was rushed through.