Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refused Delivery MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, that looks nearly identical. Mine was on the top left side of the hatch, and the right side was clean. I agree it could be PBA. When I tried to scratch it with a fingernail I got zero off, does PBA cure rock hard?

Yes, panel bond is some pretty tough stuff. Can’t believe they didn’t clean it up some while the stuff was still workable. Good thing is, it’s a corrosion inhibitor, good sealant, so aside from the sh1tty appearance, it really shouldn’t have any negative impact. But, still, I get where you’re coming from.

Reactions: Supernaut
I was scheduled to pick up my Model Y on 3/26 in Rockville, MD. Just received a text message saying it did not pass pre-delivery inspection. White, LR AWD Black interior w/ 20" induction wheels. VIN gone from account.
Man, that's sucks! I am scheduled to pick mine up this Friday at Rockville also. Mine is a Blue AWD w/ 20". Hope it's fine. Someone from the local fb group said rep told them a lot of them didn't pass inspection. Hopefully I don't get a call tomorrow saying it didn't pass. My VIN is 2278.

Ive had the opportunity to look at about 20 different MY in the last few days, in FLL and ATL. Despite early reports of improvement, I can undoubtedly report the examples I've seen have NO improvement in poor panel assembly quality than the M3. Significant variations in hood alignment from side to side and front, door misalignment, door trim misalignment, and hatch misalignment from side to side and over the taillights. I am very disappointed and cannot understand how there can be such inconsistency in build and lack of quality control. I can go to any Hyundai lot, not to mention Honda, Toyota, Audi, Porsche, Chevy, whatever, and never ever see variations to that extreme. Factor in the price range and its unacceptable.

That said, there are rare exceptions that look as they should. And when they are built right they are beautiful and I'd be delighted to own one. But what gets me is, its a total roll of the dice what they'll try to deliver to you. Why can't the assembly of Tesla body panels be consistent from car to car ?? Thats pretty basic.

Last edited:
The problem with these contact-less deliveries is what do you do if the employee has already left? Now you have a car sitting in front of your place that you don't want to accept... About to have a touchless delivery on Friday and the communication has already been frustrating up until this point.

I thought I would go check out my 2017 Honda CR-V that I am trading for a MY. I was surprised by what I saw. This was just a quick inspection of the rear hatch.. seems like most issues are around there. Not sure what it is but maybe hatch's are poor quality for everyone..
IMG_20200326_074731_MP.jpg
IMG_20200326_074718_MP.jpg
IMG_20200326_074709_MP.jpg

The problem with these contact-less deliveries is what do you do if the employee has already left? Now you have a car sitting in front of your place that you don't want to accept... About to have a touchless delivery on Friday and the communication has already been frustrating up until this point.

That sounds like a Tesla problem, not a Yeahdave problem.

Until you sign the paperwork and hand over your money, you have all the power in this situation or am I missing something? When I had minor issues during Model S delivery they became very responsive when I said “I’m not signing until x is done”

Now in all fairness and reasonability, what one finds when looking BEHIND panels or around the BACK edges, like panel folds, pinches, welds, sealant smears, etc. are COMPLETELY NORMAL for any car.

Visible exterior panel gap consistency, panel alignment left/right, trim alignment and exterior surface paint finish are legit concerns.

• Helpful
Reactions: Electric Steve
As a guy who has driven mainly German cars for the past 30 years - BMW, Audi, Porsche - I will say the build quality of the MY is not even close. Panel gaps and alignment, poor sheetmetal work, tons of paint imperfections. However ... the car is really cool anyway. We'll see how it is on reliability.

IMG_4810.jpg
IMG_4803.jpg
60650577871__BDF76492-73E5-4B26-A02F-985EBF79A706.jpg
IMG_4806.jpg

Now in all fairness and reasonability, what one finds when looking BEHIND panels or around the BACK edges, like panel folds, pinches, welds, sealant smears, etc. are COMPLETELY NORMAL for any car.

Visible exterior panel gap consistency, panel alignment left/right, trim alignment and exterior surface paint finish are legit concerns.

100% agree with this. 99% of us are not going around checking every minor detail like we are hearing about because we generally don't expect it to be an issue. With Tesla it's such a known stigma that Tesla's have build and QC issues so we go hunting them out.

I cannot speak for OP as without seeing what they saw, it's very possible and likely they were abnormal and should be not be acceptable. But if we go looking for problems we'll find them on ANY vehicle.

That’s just a roundabout way of saying other manufacturers do not have these issues.

They have QC processes, and most importantly, people to sort these issues out before they ever get in front of a consumer.

And on the rare instances where they do make it to a consumer, they offer to fix it and don’t give you a smarmy “take it or leave it”.
Let me guess - You're a short seller. Your posting history suggests you love to bash Tesla. Why are you here?

100% agree with this. 99% of us are not going around checking every minor detail like we are hearing about because we generally don't expect it to be an issue. With Tesla it's such a known stigma that Tesla's have build and QC issues so we go hunting them out.

I cannot speak for OP as without seeing what they saw, it's very possible and likely they were abnormal and should be not be acceptable. But if we go looking for problems we'll find them on ANY vehicle.

Yes of course it’s unreasonable to expect hidden areas to be cosmetically perfect. The panel bond adhesive lump would have been right at eye level every time we opened the hatch, and I hand wash our cars so would have noticed the dripping clear coat. It would have been my wife’s first Tesla so she was more concerned that if there were so many obvious examples of sloppiness, what does that say about the build quality and longevity going forward. We look forward to getting a MY, just not that one.

Yes of course it’s unreasonable to expect hidden areas to be cosmetically perfect. The panel bond adhesive lump would have been right at eye level every time we opened the hatch, and I hand wash our cars so would have noticed the dripping clear coat. It would have been my wife’s first Tesla so she was more concerned that if there were so many obvious examples of sloppiness, what does that say about the build quality and longevity going forward. We look forward to getting a MY, just not that one.

I think the one good thing MY owners have going for them is, so much of this car is based of Model 3 parts which have had a few years of time to work out bugs and kinks (75% apparently), things like the motors, brakes, key drive-train components should all be rock solid at this point, so from a diveability perspective it should be on par with a Model 3. I think the body issues are the ones obviously that will show the most flaws as it is a completely new car from that perspective and yeah, it will take some time to work out those production issues. I for one will judge no one if the car didn't look exactly how they wanted. I am crossing my fingers my car when I go to pick it up will be as good as can be but I know I will find somethings... like I showed though, even my Honda had issues.. so have to overlook some of them I feel as they never bothered me... but then again this car is 20k more so can see how people expect more.

Reactions: Siryozha
Man, that's sucks! I am scheduled to pick mine up this Friday at Rockville also. Mine is a Blue AWD w/ 20". Hope it's fine. Someone from the local fb group said rep told them a lot of them didn't pass inspection. Hopefully I don't get a call tomorrow saying it didn't pass. My VIN is 2278.
So bad news...Just got a call from Josh at the Rockville SC.... my Y has an issue... it’s missing the manual seat release lever latch .....

how do you miss a piece that big?!?

luckily the part was already ordered and josh wanted to let me know ahead of time...

Good news.... MY will be delivered a day early tomorrow midday!

I ended up calling the Rockville MD Service Center a little bit ago and Kristin took about 10 minutes to chase down some facts on the inspection failure. It was a paint issue and they need to send it off to a local body shop to get re-painted. In the end I'm happy they are spending the time to make sure the vehicle passes muster prior to being handed over to the customer. If that vehicle gets back from the shop prior to a new vehicle coming available, it would be assigned back to me. They pulled the VIN from my order in hopes I would take delivery of another vehicle before this one would come back from the shop.

So bad news...Just got a call from Josh at the Rockville SC.... my Y has an issue... it’s missing the manual seat release lever latch .....

how do you miss a piece that big?!?

luckily the part was already ordered and josh wanted to let me know ahead of time...

Good news.... MY will be delivered a day early tomorrow midday!
Apparently, a lot of early MYs had a problem with the rear seat release mechanism. Fortunately, Tesla seems to be on top of getting those retrofitted into MYs that are pending sales.

I ... like I showed though, even my Honda had issues.. so have to overlook some of them I feel as they never bothered me... but then again this car is 20k more so can see how people expect more.

the Pics you posted of your Honda are inside/backside panel folds, welds and sealant smear. They are NOT examples of anything relevant. Exterior panels and trim and paint quality are. I’m certain your Honda had no exterior issues from the factory.

This is unacceptable ..

I ended up calling the Rockville MD Service Center a little bit ago and Kristin took about 10 minutes to chase down some facts on the inspection failure. It was a paint issue and they need to send it off to a local body shop to get re-painted. In the end I'm happy they are spending the time to make sure the vehicle passes muster prior to being handed over to the customer. If that vehicle gets back from the shop prior to a new vehicle coming available, it would be assigned back to me. They pulled the VIN from my order in hopes I would take delivery of another vehicle before this one would come back from the shop.
@cruxoif24 at least you found someone who took the time to get you an actual answer on why your car failed inspection. Hopefully.... the body shop gets it back to them soon and you can take delivery!

You're paying $60k for a brand new vehicle, and you're ok having a local body shop repaint some sort of panel before you take ownership? If you say so.... IMO, step away and don't accept that car. Should've never left the factory. Its amazing to me that tesla is still running into this paint issues. Why they build these cars in california is beyond me.

Reactions: cucubits