Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refused Model Y delivery. What's next?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had the pickup for my new MYLR today. Unfortunately there was a large scratch on the left mirror, not to mention bunch of rock chips on the hood. Plus there were tons of swirl marks. The black paint makes the swirls look 10 times worse. Told the adviser and he immediately saw from a distance the huge scratch.

They decided to take the car in to fix it, but couldn't do it at the spot. The did fix the couple rock chips with spot paint, but on black paint, those fixed areas were standing out. The Tesla advisor was super nice and told me that I could accept and come back on a later day to get it fixed, or reject the car. I wasn't in a rush to get the car (already have my Model 3 running well), so decided to reject.

Additionally he told me that later in the day he would put the account on hold for a couple days or so, and then take it off hold, so I could be assigned a new VIN. But so far it has been over a day, I still see the old VIN and car in my account , still asking me to accept the delivery. Has my account been put on hold and this is just a UI glitch in app? Tried to reach out over message to the advisor, but so far no response from them. I have the 0.99% approved till 10th July, 90 days approval, so not too worried, but still wanted to check from other who have refused delivery, regarding what happens.
1_PXL_20240525_155015746.jpg

Reactions: zoomer0056
For clarification, they asked me sign documents, and I told them that there are some issues while I was looking at the car, when I spotted it in the lot. They said that they could get to it later.
Afterwards they said they would put the account on hold later in the day, but so far the app still shows "accept delivery" option asking me to go to service center. In the documents section they have uploaded the signed documents.
Not really sure what is happening. No one from text support or in app message is replying. Super weird situation. Not sure if others who have refused delivery have gone through something similar.

They're probably not responding since it's Memorial Day. And are the survivors of the recent downsizing so they're also taking a mental health day. No work today even if someone felt so inclined.

It's frustrating, to be sure. That said, it's a black MYLR. Tesla will make more.

Out of curiosity, how deep was that scratch? If it can't catch a fingernail, it can be buffed out. Or resprayed. But having detailed a car with several different resprays, it's frustrating to be dealing with several differently applied clear coats.

Had the pickup for my new MYLR today. Unfortunately there was a large scratch on the left mirror, not to mention bunch of rock chips on the hood. Plus there were tons of swirl marks. The black paint makes the swirls look 10 times worse. Told the adviser and he immediately saw from a distance the huge scratch.

They decided to take the car in to fix it, but couldn't do it at the spot. The did fix the couple rock chips with spot paint, but on black paint, those fixed areas were standing out. The Tesla advisor was super nice and told me that I could accept and come back on a later day to get it fixed, or reject the car. I wasn't in a rush to get the car (already have my Model 3 running well), so decided to reject.

Additionally he told me that later in the day he would put the account on hold for a couple days or so, and then take it off hold, so I could be assigned a new VIN. But so far it has been over a day, I still see the old VIN and car in my account , still asking me to accept the delivery. Has my account been put on hold and this is just a UI glitch in app? Tried to reach out over message to the advisor, but so far no response from them. I have the 0.99% approved till 10th July, 90 days approval, so not too worried, but still wanted to check from other who have refused delivery, regarding what happens.
View attachment 1050938
Brand new car with scratch and bunch of rock chips, NO WAY, - you will regret later on.

They're probably not responding since it's Memorial Day. And are the survivors of the recent downsizing so they're also taking a mental health day. No work today even if someone felt so inclined.

It's frustrating, to be sure. That said, it's a black MYLR. Tesla will make more.

Out of curiosity, how deep was that scratch? If it can't catch a fingernail, it can be buffed out. Or resprayed. But having detailed a car with several different resprays, it's frustrating to be dealing with several differently applied clear coats.

Yes, most likely you are correct that they are taking the day off. Yes the scratch was deep. They took it inside to buff it out, but couldnt do it. The car was dirty and had swirls on multiple places and hazing at others. There were streaks of dirt/mud dried up from the side of tail lights showing that the car got super dirty at some point and then rain dissolved some of the dirt and dripped it from between trunk and tail light. I had to manually rub my hands at certain places to remove the dirt and stuff, just to see if there were any paint issues. I would have likely accepted if it was just a couple things. It was the fact that I couldnt see other things under the dirt that I decided to refuse as I didnt want to drive home and then find additional issues.

Brand new car with scratch and bunch of rock chips, NO WAY, - you will regret later on.
Yes, I refused the delivery.

Yes, most likely you are correct that they are taking the day off. Yes the scratch was deep. They took it inside to buff it out, but couldnt do it. The car was dirty and had swirls on multiple places and hazing at others. There were streaks of dirt/mud dried up from the side of tail lights showing that the car got super dirty at some point and then rain dissolved some of the dirt and dripped it from between trunk and tail light. I had to manually rub my hands at certain places to remove the dirt and stuff, just to see if there were any paint issues. I would have likely accepted if it was just a couple things. It was the fact that I couldnt see other things under the dirt that I decided to refuse as I didnt want to drive home and then find additional issues.

Yes, I refused the delivery.

Wow, that's horrible. Must have been at the front of the truck getting blasted.