Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refusing delivery/placing hold on delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are a million threads on someone's specific reasons for refusing a delivery. There's been a burst of interest in the Model Y forum about putting a hold on delivery to increase the chances of getting HW4 which is just being rolled out. I've been a Tesla owner for years now but I've never had to refuse or put a hold on delivery - I'm curious if some experienced Tesla owners can share answers to some general questions.

1. You can refuse delivery only once, then you have to take the next one that is assigned to you or forfeit your entire order. What about forfeiting your VIN before delivery and placing a hold? Does that count as a refusal?
  2. If so, and you surrender a VIN before delivery (e.g. in hopes of getting a slightly later VIN with HW4), do you lose the opportunity to reject your slightly later VIN at the physical delivery (say if it is in poor shape) and get your order cancelled right then if you don't want to take that car?
  3. I see a lot of people "putting a hold" on their order to increase chances of getting HW4. Do you automatically get placed on a 2-week hold when you surrender your VIN? Or could you theoretically just give up the VIN without a hold per se, and potentially get a new VIN the next day?
Thanks for humoring me. A brief search found dozens of threads about refusing delivery but little in the way of general overview like this.

The different answers are at least partially due to changing practices on Tesla's part. When I ordered my MY on January 30, 2021, I wanted to take delivery after March 1 just to get out of most of the crappy weather since it would have to sit outside for a few months. The week after I ordered, they assigned a VIN for mid-February delivery. I responded back that I wanted delivery after March 1, they removed the VIN and sure enough, On March 1, I received a new VIN and delivery date. This was a time period where demand and supply seemed to be pretty much in sync.

Lately, it seems like the 2-week, one-time deferral has been in effect, I suspect because a lot of people were trying to defer delivery from 2022 into 2023 to get the advantage of older pricing but the new IRA EV rebates. Of course, the prices dropped around the same time so they got the advantage of the new lower pricing anyway.

Just yesterday I ordered a MYLR, with a non-default-white color, and otherwise no other options. I asked if the car would be delivered with the HW4 platform or not. They wandered off to check (or perhaps just humor me) and returned to say that all of the "custom" configurations they've been receiving were HW4 versions. Take that for what it's worth. I'm of a mixed mind not having the ultrasonic sensors, but the later platform seems like a better longer-term bet.

I have a Model Y ordered and delivery was scheduled for June 27-28. I am in Colorado and new state tax rebates go into effect July 1. I told them I wanted to take delivery after July 1. I had to give up the VIN assigned to me and get back in line. Interesting that 3 days makes that much difference but I understand.
End of quarter push means they really want to get it sold by June 30. I wonder if they will discount it to someone else while I wait for a new VIN or if I hit I'm ready on July 1 the same car will be assigned to me.

I have a Model Y ordered and delivery was scheduled for June 27-28. I am in Colorado and new state tax rebates go into effect July 1. I told them I wanted to take delivery after July 1. I had to give up the VIN assigned to me and get back in line. Interesting that 3 days makes that much difference but I understand.
End of quarter push means they really want to get it sold by June 30. I wonder if they will discount it to someone else while I wait for a new VIN or if I hit I'm ready on July 1 the same car will be assigned to me.
Lots of buyers will not qualify for the $5k, so IMO they will have no trouble selling the car in Colorado as they are high demand right now. The incentive is not $5k discount at purchase time.

Reactions: hansenjm
Lots of buyers will not qualify for the $5k, so IMO they will have no trouble selling the car in Colorado as they are high demand right now. The incentive is not $5k discount at purchase time.
You think there is that many people married filing jointly over $300K that want a Model Y? Maybe. Since that is not me, it is worth it to wait for an additional $3K back in rebates.

You think there is that many people married filing jointly over $300K that want a Model Y? Maybe. Since that is not me, it is worth it to wait for an additional $3K back in rebates.
I would agree its worth waiting if you qualify. It is the most popular car in the world right now. I don't think the CO rebate has an AGI limit like the federal rebate for the standard rebate. There is also a >$5k rebate for very low income in CO that is run by Xcel. I think there are plenty of people in CO who aren't informed about the rebate, or will lease the car, or have wealth without taking much income (retired). All else fails, Tesla can just keep the car for a week until the full rebate kicks in July 1st. They have little to lose by pushing for delivery before July 1.

I went to Fremont factory to pick up a Y, but the assigned one has a scratch. Then there was some disscussion etc, finally they put my order on hold now and lost the VIN too. What I should do now: remove the hold in the app or leave it on "HOLD"? The customer support person with text message does not respond to me either

There are a million threads on someone's specific reasons for refusing a delivery. There's been a burst of interest in the Model Y forum about putting a hold on delivery to increase the chances of getting HW4 which is just being rolled out. I've been a Tesla owner for years now but I've never had to refuse or put a hold on delivery - I'm curious if some experienced Tesla owners can share answers to some general questions.

1. You can refuse delivery only once, then you have to take the next one that is assigned to you or forfeit your entire order. What about forfeiting your VIN before delivery and placing a hold? Does that count as a refusal?
  2. If so, and you surrender a VIN before delivery (e.g. in hopes of getting a slightly later VIN with HW4), do you lose the opportunity to reject your slightly later VIN at the physical delivery (say if it is in poor shape) and get your order cancelled right then if you don't want to take that car?
  3. I see a lot of people "putting a hold" on their order to increase chances of getting HW4. Do you automatically get placed on a 2-week hold when you surrender your VIN? Or could you theoretically just give up the VIN without a hold per se, and potentially get a new VIN the next day?
Thanks for humoring me. A brief search found dozens of threads about refusing delivery but little in the way of general overview like this.
(Sorry for the repeat: was replying to the wrong thread) I went to Fremont factory yesterday to pick up a Y, but the assigned one has a scratch. Then there was some discussion etc, finally they put my order on hold now and lost the VIN too. What I should do now: remove the hold in the app or leave it on "HOLD"? The customer support person with text message does not respond to me either