Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reg Number before delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Possible, yes - with a traditional dealership network where each outlet is delivering a handful of cars a day. With Tesla, VINs are provisional until final payment is made. I got my VRM a week before delivery by simply calling Tesla and asking.
Oh well if we are talking Tesla specific then everything is messed up but your comment was " To issue a VRM, the vehicle needs to be registered to the owner" and that is not the case. Tesla have a guaranteed set of reg numbers from DVLA . Even when there is a plate series change they get their next series numbers a month before the new series kicks in so as long as long you don't change your collection region there is no reason Tesla could not assign a VRM to your account irrespective of VIN and tell you what it is. They probably just did not build their systems to do this. they were probably designed around the US system which no doubt is very different. but my point was that this is entirely on them there is no external constraint from DVLA or anyone else stopping them from doing it.

Due to collect from WD next week, so asked the the delivery email address for a reg number today. Was given one after a couple of emails, though was initially told it wouldn't be allocated until 48hrs before collection. Will find out next week whether today's number was right...

Their quote is valid for nn (often 30) days
Agreed and thank you for that.

I have a VIN, collection destination, a time and a date but for Admiral the Reg is a must.

However, I eventually got through to Admiral this morning and they, in acknowledgement of how difficult it is reach them, have agreed to call me back on the 29th if they have not heard from me before that date.

I am assuming Tesla will have a reg for me by collection day:)

Reactions: Lee Davis
Agreed and thank you for that.

I have a VIN, collection destination, a time and a date but for Admiral the Reg is a must.

However, I eventually got through to Admiral this morning and they, in acknowledgement of how difficult it is reach them, have agreed to call me back on the 29th if they have not heard from me before that date.

I am assuming Tesla will have a reg for me by collection day:)
You should get your reg number in plenty of time prior to collection. This time round they seem to have it sorted (maybe because of the reduced number of cars for Q2)
Back in December when I got my M3, it was received about 5 days before collection. For the Y I have on order now, I got both the VIN and reg in the same text on the 1st June, for a 24th June collection.
Point to note; This time round I noticed on the invoice, they are asking for payment to be completed 7 days prior to collection. On my previous 2 M3’s I think it was 2 days before.