Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regaining licence after stroke NSW?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whoa, they yank your license for having a stroke down under?

😳

yes, you wouldnt want someone who is blind and unaware of this or unable to move their leg properly or to hit the brake to kill someone.
That said I think NSW is unique in Australia that you have to inform the driving authority about your medical conditions and they may actively take away your license unless you can convince them to reinstate it... Some other states that is not required but encouraged (i live in queensland...). NSW seems a bit more european anway, they have much higher freedom on their roads to i.e. exceed the speed limit but also more restrictions i.e. annual MOT inspections...

In the USA the rules are actually more strict than in Australia or even Germany - at least in some states i.e. California where afaik you will need medical clearance to go back to driving after stroke whereas in Australia or lets say Germany this is not required for minor strokes... after a 4 week period of non driving as long as the initial doctors were reasonably happy you can just go back to driving

There is only a technical difference between not having medical clearance ot drive, not having a license and not being allowed to drive. The end result is that you cannot drive...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I suffered a stroke in September and therefore had my unblemished NSW licence invalidated.
I would be most grateful if anyone who has regained their licence in similar circumstances can give me any advice.
You must be able to safely complete the driving task. For private small vehicles the bar is lower. In most situations you will not be able to get a commercial vehicle license.

You need to find a GP who is willing to do a medical clearance for you. If they clear you then you can go back to driving.

If they think you need an OT driving assessment then they will still need to do a medical clearance and then you can do the test.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman