Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regarding USB Flash Drive and Dashcam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Forum Members! I have a quick question if anyone would like to offer insight. Regarding the dashcam and the USB drive, I was wondering based on all of the information that I have read on this forum (very informative, thank you!) if it is not so good to leave the flash drive plugged into the car.

Here is a quick run-down of my experience: I finally received the software update (39.7.1) and the dashcam feature. I started with a thumb drive I that already had (under 3GB I think) and it worked the first couple of times after a proper format to FAT32 and after following all of the instructions on setting up the TeslaCam folder, etc. The second time I used it, I had made a relatively short stop somewhere and left it plugged in. After this, I had the dreaded "x".

I then purchased a SanDisk 3.0 64GB flash drive and did the proper format and partition set-up and now this works perfectly! I have not had any problems; however, I always remove the flash drive before I power down no matter how short my stop is.

So my question is - does it make any difference whether or not you leave such a flash drive plugged in? Have you tried it with successful results?

Thank you in advance! Apologies if this question has been asked and I missed it.

Thank you! It's funny, because today I made a stop before work and I forgot to remove the flash drive. Fortunately, there were no negative repercussions and my drive has continued to work (although I have been removing the flash drive since when I get to my destination). I hope that I get the latest 42.3 software update soon; it will be great to have the safeguard.