Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

regen acting unusual

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the last few days, the behavior of the regen has varied from normal to near nothing or some feeling in between. The first occasion I noticed low regen was backing out of the garage. Indoor/car temp 50 degrees, outside temp 30. I considered it a fluke or the car monitors zip code weather (not likely). On another trip in warmer weather 40~50 the regen was so low I didn't think it acted at all. Later, on another trip, the regen didn't engage for what seemed like a long time. And sometimes it behaves as usual.

In all this driving the battery charge was in the 30 to 60 % realm, coincidently 40.2.1 was in effect. ? can't say. Anyone notice something like this or have my meds gone bad?

Over the last few days, the behavior of the regen has varied from normal to near nothing or some feeling in between. The first occasion I noticed low regen was backing out of the garage. Indoor/car temp 50 degrees, outside temp 30. I considered it a fluke or the car monitors zip code weather (not likely). On another trip in warmer weather 40~50 the regen was so low I didn't think it acted at all. Later, on another trip, the regen didn't engage for what seemed like a long time. And sometimes it behaves as usual.

In all this driving the battery charge was in the 30 to 60 % realm, coincidently 40.2.1 was in effect. ? can't say. Anyone notice something like this or have my meds gone bad?

After receiving the latest update, my regen is acting funky, similar to your experiences.

My regen is also terrible and unpredictable now. That is one thing that my previous i3 got right. They made the car blend in normal braking to make up for the regen capacity that was unavailable due to a full or cold battery. It made the car much more predictable at the slight expense of greater brake wear and maybe a little worse overall efficiency.

Car monitoring weather by zip code and killing regen is a new one. But 50 deg F is definitely enough to slow regen.

We have two cars on 40.2.1 and no new problems with regen we can see.

It takes a while to warm up the battery. Try prewarming the car and do look for the dots (for a 3) and dashes (S and X) to see if regen is limited by cold.

I've had this happen twice but both times it was right after I started driving it, the screen showed a large green bar of Regen but the car didn't slow at all. I chalked it up to being on a slight hill the first time but the 2nd I noticed it didn't slow at all and had a large regen bar showing so I'm not sure.