Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen Braking with Brakes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I apply the brakes lightly during low speed driving (15 MPH) the energy bar shows green regeneration. I thought regeneration was not enabled when brakes were applied.

Can anyone explain what I am seeing?
I think there is a slight misunderstanding on your part. Many other cars with electric motors, especially hybrids, only regenerate when the brake pedal is slightly depressed. This lets the driver allow the car to coast when that is the most efficient use of momentum, then slightly depress the brake pedal when they want regen, and then further for mechanical brakes. Tesla does not do this, but starts regen automatically when you let off the accelerator, so if you want to coast, you need to actually keep the accelerator pressed a little -- a technique known as "one-pedal driving".

So it isn't that the Tesla doesn't regen while it is braking, it certainly does. It's just not controlled by the braking.

...what happens when I depress the brake pedal. The energy bar shows regen, but from your explanation the friction brakes are applied. Which is correct?

Both are happening at the same time.
1. Release accelerator - regen begins
2. Press brake - mechanical braking begins and regen continues
3. Get below 5 mph - regen stop, mechanical braking continues until stopped

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51
Regen starts when you fully release the accelerator,

Actually the way it is implemented you can slow down but not engage full regen based on how much throttle input you provide. As example I was driving down a fairly steep mountain road today and modulated the throttle pedal such that the car maintained the speed limit but was also regen'ing as well (gained 6 miles). If I had taken my foot all the way off the throttle, it would have slowed down much more, perhaps coming close to a stop (it won't stop for me as I have creep turned on)

Regen will trigger tail lights depending on how strong the regen is; sudden lift off of throttle can trigger them but a more moderate input per @Candleflame may not..

Reactions: Brisket5652
Wish there was an option to enable Regen all the way till the car is stopped instead of just cutting it off completely. Even if it doesn't get you much if any power when going that slow at the end of slowing down it would eliminate the need for the brake pedal for most cases like stoplights.
First world problems, but this doesn't make any sense to me having the coast mode unless it saves battery vs just holding the accelerator in a steady state and letting the car come to a complete stop under pure regen

Wish there was an option to enable Regen all the way till the car is stopped instead of just cutting it off completely. Even if it doesn't get you much if any power when going that slow at the end of slowing down it would eliminate the need for the brake pedal for most cases like stoplights.
First world problems, but this doesn't make any sense to me having the coast mode unless it saves battery vs just holding the accelerator in a steady state and letting the car come to a complete stop under pure regen

I'm fairly certain it isn't able to regen to a full stop because the regen doesn't work at low speeds, not because they decided against it. To facilitate what you're asking, they would likely need to energize the motors to slow the car, using power in the process.

Reactions: Saghost