Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen fluctuates (used to be more consistent)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me preface this with stating this occurs when the pack is warmed up (not dotted line under speedometer), not just when it is cold.
I've recently noticed in my Model 3, when taking my exit ramp to work, the car will suddenly back off of regen and coast right as I'm beginning my turn into the off ramp curve, while I would still expect to be braking for another hundred feet so I have to quickly press the brake pedal to slow down since the car stopped doing it with regen.
I've also experienced on a handful of occasions very recently, that this will happen when slowing for a stop light from 50mph; the car will brake normally with regen as I remove pressure from the gas pedal and while holding the pedal still for a smooth brake, it will start braking less (green bar gets much shorter, only filling maybe 1/4-1/3 of the bar) around 40mph so then I have to move my foot to the brake pedal and press it quite hard then once I get down to 15mph, the regen picks back up and my fiance gets thrown forward a bit.
In other words, starting at 50mph, this is the chain of events:
50MPH: 100% regen, 0% brake pedal
40MPH: 30% regen, 70% brake pedal
15MPH: 70% regen, 30% brake pedal (braking hard for a moment because regen kicked back up)
5MPH: 0% regen, 100% brake pedal

Has anyone else experienced this? My issue is the sudden change of regen power while slowing. I understand and have experienced many times lower regen due to colder temperatures here in Michigan, but when the regen strength is fluctuating at different speeds is very unsafe.

In the summer, the green bar would reach to about the D for Drive and then gradually go down as my speed decreases. Now, it seems to jump all around. I don't know whether I have to have my foot slightly pressing the gas pedal or have my foot on the brake. It's all reaction now since I don't know what the car will be doing.

Reactions: linkster
Yes, the Michelin X-Ice 3. I'm shocked how much it is affecting it, if that is the case.

I agree, its shocking how much the Winter tires have affected regen.

So you don't think you are alone, here is 33 pages worth of people and the Winter tire regen issue.

Who has lost regen with winter tires?

I really miss my one pedal driving and cant wait for this to be fixed.

On a recent trip, my daughter commented that she felt a bit sick because of the way the car was driving.

Vin

Reactions: linkster
I agree, its shocking how much the Winter tires have affected regen.

So you don't think you are alone, here is 33 pages worth of people and the Winter tire regen issue.

Who has lost regen with winter tires?

I really miss my one pedal driving and cant wait for this to be fixed.

On a recent trip, my daughter commented that she felt a bit sick because of the way the car was driving.

Vin

Vin, this is very helpful; thanks! Not sure why that thread didn't come up on the few searches I did. o_O

WRONG! The issue affects both AWD and RWD. Please stop spreading this misinformation. This was confirmed from multiple AWD owners including one who did quantitative accelerometer measurements.

Ok, firstly, relax. We are all here just trying to help each other out. If I am wrong, I am happy to be corrected, but please do it respectfully.

You forced me to go back to the 33 pages of reports and I now see that you and pcons (both AWD owners) have reported the issue.

I rather enjoyed reading the banter between you and more863-also, so I will quote more863-also now and in the future (which looks like is acceptable to you):

"Because a far greater proportion of RWD owners are experiencing the issue, meaning if you own an AWD you are less likely to experience this issue."

Vin

Reactions: 0ptions