Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen - fun with ups and downs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bullet1

Electric - way of the future
Heard firmware 8.0 update is upping the regen on "Standard" mode so thought would test out current regen before the update arrives.

Was having fun seeing how much regen green I could get from the local mountain. Did a run down Springbrook behind the Gold Coast which is a decent 8ish km run down. See below the results " -119 whkm at the bottom and a "sea of green" on 10km chart.

Considering we are on the flatest continent sure we can't top the Hawaiian boys who I note did a run top to bottom of one of their volcanoes recently and generated a ridiculous amount of juice.

Planning a trip to Snowy mountains in 2 weeks, so was testing the battery drain going up the local mountain to see if I needed to panic. Going up had 80% SOC at the start and range dropped to as low as 70kms near the top, but obviously on the way down made up and overall no need to panic. See 25km chart showing partial up and down back to home base.

What's the best an Aussie has achieved on regen?

Was thinking the run down Talbingo mountain (Snowy mountains) would be hard to beat. Any better downhill runs that are know or accomplished in Oz?

Sea of green.jpg
The Basin.jpg

I was wondering about regen and hills the other day, going up you obviously use more power
and going down you get some back but how much do you get back. Is there a rough guide to
what you can get back?

Say you start with 80% and 200wh/k then get to the top you are down to 20% and 400wh/k
when you go back down will you get back close to 80% and 200wh/k?

You seem to have done the test Bullet1 but using differing values, just need to get more comparable data!

I was wondering about regen and hills the other day, going up you obviously use more power
and going down you get some back but how much do you get back. Is there a rough guide to
what you can get back?

Say you start with 80% and 200wh/k then get to the top you are down to 20% and 400wh/k
when you go back down will you get back close to 80% and 200wh/k?

You seem to have done the test Bullet1 but using differing values, just need to get more comparable data!
Yeah was only having fun so didn't do any empirical testing.