Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen-ing to a stop without Creep activated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking about this the other day. Break lights don’t come on under Regen, or do they?
Yes, they do. I’ve tested that and know it to be true. The car is slowing down. You want the driver behind you to know that. So the brake lights come on. The S and X also work that way.

You don’t need to press on the brake pedal for the brake lights to come on: if you remove forward pressure from the accelerator pedal the brake lights also come on.

Reactions: coleAK and Alketi
I was thinking about this the other day. Break lights don’t come on under Regen, or do they? So wouldn’t the risk of getting rear ended greatly increase without break lights? I worry about this all winter in all my vehicles since I put on top quality winter tires.
Yes. The brake lights come on during regen slowdown. I had someone follow me and proved this was the case. Thanks

Reactions: coleAK
I was thinking about this the other day. Break lights don’t come on under Regen, or do they? So wouldn’t the risk of getting rear ended greatly increase without break lights? I worry about this all winter in all my vehicles since I put on top quality winter tires.

The brake lights do come on with high regen. My wife verified this the other day while following me,

Reactions: coleAK
Regen to a stop is physically not possible. Depending on the exact implementation there is some minimal speed under which the electronics and motor will consume more just do want to slow down, that could be generated by same motor turning with that slow speed.
It is possible to do 'power-braking' ie consume energy to make the motor want to turn slower/stall. All the kinetic and battery energy would turn into heat.
Hill-hold using just the motor consumes energy and produces heat.

Fair answer. As a result of this, I'm adapting to learning when to apply the friction brake during regen for a reasonable stopping distance to the car in front of me.