Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More powerful regen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would love to have more regen, either by augmenting "normal" or adding an "extreme" setting. Normal regen is enough in highway driving but is insufficient in city stoplight/streetlight driving. I constantly need to use the brakes to come to a stop. I could use only regen if I started slowing down half a mile in advance but that is not good for me.

Upvote 4
I would like this as well (+1). Regen in my 2018 model 3 feels significantly different than when I purchased it, but I am not sure if this is due to vehicle age, or Tesla tweaking the algorithms for how much power goes back into the battery to prevent overcharging it, etc.

My wifes 2022 model Y feels very close to how my model 3 felt when I picked the model 3 up. it would be nice to choose a desire for a stronger setting and let the car work out "how much stronger" it could be at any given time.

Reactions: GtiMart
While I agree it might be nice to let users select between mild/medium/strong regen (and back in the day I think Tesla offered mild/medium option), I find the regen on my MYLR to be delightfully right. I drive for days without touching the brakes. Perhaps if I lived in a busy city with a lot of cut-and-thrust work it'd be different but for the conditions I work in (small coastal city with little traffic) it's spot on.

Reactions: gtae07
While I agree it might be nice to let users select between mild/medium/strong regen (and back in the day I think Tesla offered mild/medium option), I find the regen on my MYLR to be delightfully right. I drive for days without touching the brakes. Perhaps if I lived in a busy city with a lot of cut-and-thrust work it'd be different but for the conditions I work in (small coastal city with little traffic) it's spot on.

There is a brake pedal in this car?

Would also really like better/stronger regen!

My 2020 M3 feels like it can never come to a complete stop on its own vs my 2022 MY that has pristine regen. No idea why I feel like the regen just gets worse and worse on my M3, with no change on my MY.

What can cause regen to degrade (overall, not talking about weather related)?

but for the conditions I work in (small coastal city with little traffic) it's spot on
Same conditions here; regen is just about right. TACC has used the brakes more than I have--I think it could stand to get some tuning (perhaps with a stack update?) as it seems to brake later and harder than I'd prefer, but also accelerate way too leisurely.

But I also try not to drive too aggressively--wife doesn't appreciate it and neither does my wallet.

Also, not sure they'd have the "room" to make regen more powerful--there's probably a practical limit to how much power the motors can pull out from the wheels and push to the battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: beachmiles
Same conditions here; regen is just about right. TACC has used the brakes more than I have--I think it could stand to get some tuning (perhaps with a stack update?) as it seems to brake later and harder than I'd prefer, but also accelerate way too leisurely.

But I also try not to drive too aggressively--wife doesn't appreciate it and neither does my wallet.

Also, not sure they'd have the "room" to make regen more powerful--there's probably a practical limit to how much power the motors can pull out from the wheels and push to the battery.

It's not completely maxed out on regen, but it's near the limit as can be seen when regen actually gets limited if the battery is nearly-full and/or cold.

I totally AGREE with this thread! My 2019 Model S regen is weak compared with other EVs I've owned. When slowing down from moderate to high speed, it starts OK, at around 60kw, but then dips as the car slows, just when you want it to be stronger. Then disappears altogether around 8mph, so just coasts. You need to use the friction brake to bring it to a stop. WHY!!! - PLEASE can we have a "strong" or "OPD" mode, so we can have true one pedal driving. The car seems perfectly capable of it, so it's simply a change to the software profile. This would make the car so much easier and more enjoyable to drive, and preserve the brakes still further.