Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen off when fully charged?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps this is something already well known and I am just late to the party but the past few times that I have fully charged the battery, I have noticed that regenerative breaking does not work for a bit after I start driving.

Is this expected behavior? It seems to make sense, if the battery is fully charged the regen energy would not have anywhere to go. And yet, it seems a bit of an oversight not to have some sort of warning/reminder somewhere in the dash. The driving dynamics change so much that you could get into a fender bender if one is not paying full attention...

Or do I have to make an appointment with the SC?

There is a warning. When you first start with that condition, the power/energy graph will pop up on one of the instrument panel side gauges, with the regen areas that aren't usable blocked buy a dashed yellow line. As you get more back, it should periodically come up again with less blocked off.

(I'm not that familiar with it, because I always have that screen up, so I'm not quite sure how often it'll pop over.)

Unless you have a software limited battery pack, you should have the battery pack at 100% only for brief periods, charging to 100% shortly before departure.

Charging regularly to or near 100% could result in accelerated loss of battery capacity, the same is true for frequently allowing the battery pack to have very little charge.

Reactions: .jg.
I only get that when its cold, but there's a little warning indicator that the regen is temporarily disabled. But then, as bob_p says, I am never driving on a full battery either. I charge enough to make 2 daily commutes in case I somehow forget to plug in one evening, so there's always lots of buffer for the regen.