Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. Does this seem odd? I have a 23MYLR. It was chilly this morning so I expected reduced regen which I did have and had the reduced regen icon. However after having the car parked for a little while, I got in and there was no icon, but the regen was still very reduced. I drove for 20 mins and it was still reduced with no icon. Then finally it went to full regen but a minute later it went back to reduced again. See photos.

Attachments

• IMG_1333.jpeg
    IMG_1333.jpeg
    398.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1336.jpeg
    IMG_1336.jpeg
    335.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1337.jpeg
    IMG_1337.jpeg
    314.7 KB · Views: 22
The power indicator bar isn't a precise indicator, both for regen and power. I've had power limits that were not indicated on the bar either. The only way to really know is to have a scanner app like ScanMyTesla to look at the internal values for max regen and max power output.
When your battery is around the temperature where regen isn't limited anymore, using regen will reduce the max value. It's not a static value that just depends on temperature, it also depends how you use it. I've seen max regen go down as I descend a big hill regenning. When I reached the stop at the bottom and started accelerating again I could see the max regen value go back up. You might have been in this situation, and the bar wouldn't necessarily display it nor the icon since it's not limited "enough" to require a warning.
When you park the car after a drive, the car continues to run the pumps for a while, taking the heat left in the motors etc and circulating it into the battery. When you come back later your battery might be warmer than when you parked...

This could be due to various factors, including battery temperature, state of charge, or even software-related issues. To address the situation, consider checking if there are any specific alerts or messages on your car's display related to battery or temperature.