Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen Sometimes Not Working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2015 70D. Lately I've noticed that after a supercharge, or after a moderate charge, I'll start driving, and notice that regen not giving that "grip". It is a bit unnverving not having the care slow by itself once yo are used to it. It seems to come back on later in the trip, or maybe after a certain speed, I can't tell. The setting is on "Standard". I switch it to Low and back, I've rebooted, nothing seems consistent. Does this happen to anyone else?

For full regen to be available the battery has to be at aprox 86% or lower. It also depends on the battery temperature, but if you just charged at a Supercharger, your battery is definitely not cold.

It's an issue that unfortunately part of how batteries work today. If they are close to fully charged you can't charge them at a high rate which regenerative braking mostly is. The higher the state of charge, the lower the allowed charge rate, and the weaker the regenerative braking power.

Same is true for a cold battery. The colder it is, the lower the allowed charge rate. Below freezing temperature, the battery must not be charged at all to prevent damage.

It would be nice if the car could automatically compensate by applying the friction brakes to give a consistent braking experience.

2015 70D. Lately I've noticed that after a supercharge, or after a moderate charge, I'll start driving, and notice that regen not giving that "grip". It is a bit unnverving not having the care slow by itself once yo are used to it. It seems to come back on later in the trip, or maybe after a certain speed, I can't tell. The setting is on "Standard". I switch it to Low and back, I've rebooted, nothing seems consistent. Does this happen to anyone else?
Happens to me a lot lately (2017 S 90D). Seems to work more consistently at < 10mph, but I can’t identify any pattern.