Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative Brakes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi there, i've had my model s (70D) for a little over a month now. just passed 2k miles after a road trip from chicago to montreal and back, and at some point in the middle of the trip, i noticed that my regen brakes started feeling a little tired.. when i let off the acceleration it slows, but quite a bit less than the first couple weeks i've owned the car. i assumed it was a combination of luggage and passengers weighing the car down a bit on my trip, but now that i'm home and driving it around on my own, i can definitely feel a difference. it coasts a bit like a gas car, but with a tiny bit of "braking" happening. is this normal for model s's? is it something that just wears in? is it something i can have adjusted?

tried looking this up in other threads, but failed to find the conversation. my apologies if i missed a thread!

thanks in advance for your help!

If you charge to 100% you won't get much regen until you use up some of the charge. Also, if it is cold out you won't get much regen.
i did charge to 100% on the trip, but now that i'm back home i'm in the daily range at about 80% or so. i didn't know that the regen decreases at higher charge rates. that could definitely be part of what i noticed on the road trip. as for weather, generally been between 60-85 degrees lately.

I actually don't think it can re"gen" a lot of energy for driving this over 4000lbs car. In fact I feel it uncomfortable because it decelerating too fast with standard regen mode because it is inconsistent with my other cars (ICE) w/ auto-gear. So I would say set your regen to which you feel accustomed, not regen more.

for sale 400 $ Tesla S IMG_0675.JPG

hi there, i've had my model s (70D) for a little over a month now. just passed 2k miles after a road trip from chicago to montreal and back, and at some point in the middle of the trip, i noticed that my regen brakes started feeling a little tired.. when i let off the acceleration it slows, but quite a bit less than the first couple weeks i've owned the car. i assumed it was a combination of luggage and passengers weighing the car down a bit on my trip, but now that i'm home and driving it around on my own, i can definitely feel a difference. it coasts a bit like a gas car, but with a tiny bit of "braking" happening. is this normal for model s's? is it something that just wears in? is it something i can have adjusted?!
No regen change in mine in three years and 70K miles.
1. Check that you're in standard regen mode.
2. Regen is limited in a full battery or when the battery is cold.

I actually don't think it can re"gen" a lot of energy for driving this over 4000lbs car. In fact I feel it uncomfortable because it decelerating too fast with standard regen mode because it is inconsistent with my other cars (ICE) w/ auto-gear. So I would say set your regen to which you feel accustomed, not regen more.

Did you do the math or is that just a feeling?

If you turn off regen you are wasting energy you could be using and instead wearing out your friction brakes. You could instead learn to modulate your lift so that you don't decelerate "too fast" and enjoy the EV experience instead of fighting it ;)

Regen is reduced when the battery is charged high. Even at 90% charge the regen amount is still slightly reduced. Cold temperatures can also reduce regen.

In city driving, having regen decreases energy consumption by about 30%. In every situation you need to slow down the car, it helps recovering energy. It is one of the great advantages of an electric car.

As for slowing down too much, you can adjust the amount of regen with the pedal just the same way you adjust the power when driving.