Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative Braking after 40.8 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regen does seem less aggressive to me after the update. Thought it was weather related at first but today it was in the 60’s and regen line was full and still found myself using the brakes at times when previously I would be able to go brake free unless something unusual happened.

I got the 40.8 update yesterday. Prior to the update, my regenerative braking in standard mode was great. I noticed when I drove today, and the regenerative breaking wasn't nearly as strong, to the point I had to double check to make sure it didn't somehow get switched from standard to chill. Really feels virtually non-existent unless I'm going below 10mph and even then, it coasts much further than it was even yesterday before the update.

Anyone else that has the 40.8 update noticing their regenerative braking not working as well as it was before the update?

I noticed it as well. It has become softer and using brakes in places where I wasn't before.

Not removing Regen, they removed the choice you had between Standard and Low. Tesla controls the regen now. I did learn if you use "Roll" instead of "Hold", it does provide less regen, which is more of how I like it. For those of you who find it too weak now with 40.8, try hold and you'll get a bit more.

Not removing Regen, they removed the choice you had between Standard and Low. Tesla controls the regen now. I did learn if you use "Roll" instead of "Hold", it does provide less regen, which is more of how I like it. For those of you who find it too weak now with 40.8, try hold and you'll get a bit more.
I got the 40.8 upgrade and still have the option to choose between low and standard regen braking

So I just picked up a new model Y, downloaded 40.8 when I got home and the regen is super hard compared to my 3. And, there is no way to adjust it. Under driving, I have no braking regen section like I do in the 3. Is that normal? You can adjust it in the Y?
Why would you want it lower? The regen is perfect. Put it in "Hold" mode and you can one foot drive 90% of the time. No need to touch the brake pedal in most situations.

Have you driven a 2021?
It's the same car as my 2020. I've also owned a Model 3. The amount of braking force applied by modulating the accelerator pedal allows you to control the car with one pedal. Compared to taking your foot off the accelerator, moving over to the brake pedal and applying force, it's a much smoother and more efficient way to control the car. It feels almost like driving a manual.

Yes, I'm aware and I also own a 3. Unless you have driven a 2021, you wouldn't know what I'm talking about. They removed the option to manage the amount of Regen and it's different than how the 2020 applies it. The 2021 manages regen for you and it's a different driving experience from the 2020. It's the same "car", but they are doing something different with the software in the 2021.

Yes, I'm aware and I also own a 3. Unless you have driven a 2021, you wouldn't know what I'm talking about. They removed the option to manage the amount of Regen and it's different than how the 2020 applies it. The 2021 manages regen for you and it's a different driving experience from the 2020. It's the same "car", but they are doing something different with the software in the 2021.

Besides removing the option of Standard or Low, what is different in 2021? It sounds like your issue is you consider it to be too much braking force as you prefer to drive like an ICE with the brake pedal.

If that's the case, I'd ask that you give it a chance. It becomes natural and, I feel, better, with one foot driving.

Last edited:
For anyone who feels like their braking force is LESS than before, please look for the following:

1) Is it cold out, and you have ...... on the left side of the power meter? That means the battery is cold and you are unable to utilize the full braking force of regen (can't fill up the battery as much). As the car warms, you will lose ... and gain braking force. This is very common in the morning.

2) Is your Stopping Mode set to Creep, Roll or Hold? If it is set to Creep, the car will have less braking force as the car will try to coast or creep forward like an Automatic ICE. Switch to Roll or Hold for more braking force. Hold will then stop the car in place when not moving.

***All situations may require the brake pedal. Consider your speed, braking distance, etc.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Besides removing the option of Standard or Low, what is different in 2021? It sounds like your issue is you consider it to be too much braking force as you prefer to drive like an ICE with the brake pedal.

If that's the case, I'd ask that you give it a chance. It becomes natural and, I feel, better, with one foot driving.

Agreed. I one foot drive my 3 all the time and love it. However, the 2021 Y is my wife's car that is coming from an ICE BMW, so it's a huge adjustment and having the "low" setting would be nice to ease into it, etc, but they took that away. Thankfully using "roll" instead of "hold" has reduced the amount of regen, so it's not so bad that way. But I still don't understand why remove an option that lets you customize the driving experience.

Agreed. I one foot drive my 3 all the time and love it. However, the 2021 Y is my wife's car that is coming from an ICE BMW, so it's a huge adjustment and having the "low" setting would be nice to ease into it, etc, but they took that away. Thankfully using "roll" instead of "hold" has reduced the amount of regen, so it's not so bad that way. But I still don't understand why remove an option that lets you customize the driving experience.
My wife uses "creep" and that has less regen. I tried it once and felt unsafe, but she likes the ICE feel, especially when maneuvering in a tight parking lot (she doesn't have to press the accelerator for it to move a little).

I think some used Low in the snow. I have never used it. I agree options are nice.

I'm sure she'll get used to it quickly. If she ever drove MT, then it's a nice transition as ICE AT creep is annoying to me.

i think something was changed in the update. The local temps have dropped with a daytime high of 10c but I have been at 10c before but can accept the pack is needing to warm up. I find now that I always have the little dots on the left. The best I can do is the dots stop at the N, even after 100km of driving on the highway/ up hills etc. Every once in a while while climbing a really steep hill or something that last batch of dots will flicker on and off all at once (not a gradual reduction). The only way to make those dots disappear is to navigate to a supercharger. THen dots are gone while the battery is preheating and regen is full power but as soon as supercharging is done, those same dots are all back and the regen braking is just a bit less aggressive than it used to be.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
i think something was changed in the update. The local temps have dropped with a daytime high of 10c but I have been at 10c before but can accept the pack is needing to warm up. I find now that I always have the little dots on the left. The best I can do is the dots stop at the N, even after 100km of driving on the highway/ up hills etc. Every once in a while while climbing a really steep hill or something that last batch of dots will flicker on and off all at once (not a gradual reduction). The only way to make those dots disappear is to navigate to a supercharger. THen dots are gone while the battery is preheating and regen is full power but as soon as supercharging is done, those same dots are all back and the regen braking is just a bit less aggressive than it used to be.
Did you drive this car, or another Tesla last fall in Vancouver? Just trying to see if it is different by software.

NO, got it in June and I am definitely open to it being weather related. Today I did a test, it was down to 3c and instead of just turning the heat on I used an API call for set_preconditioning_max which I thought had nothing to do with preheating the battery but I had no dots on my 3km drive (used 2% battery warming the car up in 15 minutes though). Sunday I left the house at 5c after setting a departure time on the charge screen and I had all dots. Going to do more playing.