TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Regenerative Braking Disabled...MS 2017 won't go into gears

Discussion in 'Model S' started by c2121, May 31, 2018.

1. c2121

c2121 Member

Hi! First post...I just got a new MS 75 2017 last week (it was a showroom car), and absolutely love the car.

Unfortunately, during a drive this morning, I stopped to get coffee, and after I came back 15 min later, the car showed a "Regenerative Braking Disabled" notification. I live in NC and I was driving for >45 min, so it's not the weather.

The car would not allow me to put it into any gear. It was just show "Car Off". See the pic below.

Restarted the console. No luck. Called Roadside Assist, tried to enter/exit car multiple times. No luck.

Called SC, and had it towed to SC. Tow mode worked, thankfully. After having it today, SC has not been able to diagnose it.

I couldn't find a similar issue on the forums...any ideas or experience with this problem?

Thanks for all who post, this community gave me confidence in buying the car, since I was able to learn a ton by reading.

Thanks,
    Cris

Attached Files:

2. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Interesting. I’ve never heard of or seen this before either. I wonder if there’s a blown fuse or something like that? For some reason the motors can’t send power to the battery pack. Weird

3. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

Looks like you may have disable traction control. Look at icon on top of screen. I think regen turns off with traction.

4. Yaro

Yaro Member

It turns off but the car will still drive. You can disconnect the ABS cable, E-brake and the car will still drive with the traction control light.

5. Jan Fiala

Jan Fiala Member

My friend had the very same problem. Car towed to SC out of opening hours and the next day it worked normally. SC unable to replicate the problem. Ghost in the shell.

6. c2121

c2121 Member

Weird....mine is still in the SC and they still haven’t figured it out after 2 days. Was it recent?

7. c2121

c2121 Member

By the way, for a brand new car, how does the ‘lemon law’ work? Do I have a case if the car is in the shop longer than I’ve driven it? I hate it, but it’s hard to trust it....especially if they have no idea...

8. jjh1234

jjh1234 Member

Every state has its' own version of the Lemon Law. Usually, there has to be multiple unsuccessful attempts to fix a safety related problem and/or a specified time out of service. You can look on your My Tesla web page under documents to download the Lemon Law info.

9. Jan Fiala

Jan Fiala Member

It was a month ago. Car drives fine since then, nothing done in this matter by the SC.

10. c2121

c2121 Member

Well....it looks like their waiting on engineering. They attempted a software update...but they still don't know what's wrong with it...craziness.

At this point it will be at SC longer than I've been able to drive it.

11. c2121

c2121 Member

So....I was on 2018.20. Now I'm at 2018.20.5.

That was all it was.....weird, but I'm glad it came back quicker than I thought

12. c2121

c2121 Member

Additionally, they said the ECU firmwares weren't all matching, which caused the problem in the first place. With 20.5, that problem is supposedly fixed.