Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative Braking randomly not applying

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something I've noticed lately is that several times at low speeds, i'll have times that Regenerative braking just like turns itself of. Most of the times I noticed it when moving semi slowly through a parking lot. There were a couple close calls as I was turning into a space and letting off the accelerator expecting the car to start slowing only to have to keep coasting at the same speed. Anyone else have this happen recently?

Notes:
I've had 2 or 3 updates recently from 2020.16.xx up to 2020.20.12. I've believe it has happened on multiple versions but definitely on 2020.20.12.
Car was always warm and there were not dots in the regeneration braking line.

I found your post after looking for someone having the same issue. I notice it when turning into my office parking space every day. I lose regenerative slowing as soon as I turn the wheel and must apply brakes manually. Not sure if this is supposed to do that or if I have an issue which needs repair. Did you resolve anything?

Reactions: Watts 4 Me
Regen doesn't really work at super low speeds (<5 mph). That being said, what Stopping Mode are you using?

Controls / Driving /
  • Creep
  • Roll
  • Hold
Hold uses the most slow speed stopping power. It will apply the brakes to lock you in place when you are basically at a standstill. If you use Roll, you may need to apply the brake pedal to stop, and Creep will always need it since it's trying to drive forward.

I have noticed this at random, but I have noticed every time I have charged the car (85%) completely. My thought is it maybe is not on for the first bit since the battery is fully charged so no need to use it. As I keep driving it gets stronger and stronger as I let off the gas.

Ok, I've noticed this also, it happened like once two weeks ago after I got 2020.32.3. I had a warm battery, about 80% full.....driving and stopping, with hold set point, no problems, .....all of a sudden at one stop sign I let the pedal off and shazam the car just keeps going. Scared the sh_t out of me.....

so, this is out there....

Ok, I've noticed this also, it happened like once two weeks ago after I got 2020.32.3. I had a warm battery, about 80% full.....driving and stopping, with hold set point, no problems, .....all of a sudden at one stop sign I let the pedal off and shazam the car just keeps going. Scared the sh_t out of me.....

so, this is out there....
You let which pedal off?

You guys that are experiencing this... do you have limited regen dots showing when this occurs?

I've noticed several changes to how regen feels (the deceleration rate) over the last few updates, but it hasn't ever just completely stopped working.

Reactions: hellocar
I have noticed this at random, but I have noticed every time I have charged the car (85%) completely. My thought is it maybe is not on for the first bit since the battery is fully charged so no need to use it. As I keep driving it gets stronger and stronger as I let off the gas.

What you re describing is not what the Original poster of this thread is describing. What you are describing is the known, and expected reaction to a battery that is either full, or "cold" and yes the battery can be "cold" when its inside a garage that is 70+ degrees.

You will see dots on the display above the car, signifying that you have reduced regen.. This will happen if the battery is "full", OR if the battery is cold... and to repeat, when I park my car in my southern california garage, and its 75+ degrees in my garage, the battery can still be "cold".

So, what you experienced is known, and expected, and detailed on page 65 and 69 of the tesla model 3 manual (at least those are the page numbers in the manual I just looked at), might be slightly different page numbers in whatever version of the manual is in your car).

What the others are talking about (regen at slow speeds not working) is something different altogether though.

• Informative
Reactions: BMWM3Man
No change in stopping ( hold) or climate or charging amount ( 80%).

Yet after the last couple of updates I have lost the regen intermittently. I would be at 40 mph or so and would let off the accelerator and normally will sharply decelerate and stop well behind other slowing or stopped cars. But during these last few times the car keeps going at the same speed and if I had not applied the brakes, I would have rear ended the person in front.

Seems like I have had to use the brakes during the past few weeks, which I have almost never had needed before in the past year.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
Beyond cold and/or high SOC batteries reducing max regen, 'large' steering angles also reduce regen. Not sure if its fixed or dynamic angle based on speed or some other criteria, but either way without road sensing its a potentially bad deal to be turning and braking. My old RWD S would clip regen through turns a lot (I live at the top of a windy mountain road). My M3 not so much but its hard to call it apples to apples.

This happens to me often. At least a couple times a day. My battery can be at 60%, definitely not cold, and there are absolutely no regen dots. One minute regen works fine, and the next, as I’m turning into a parking lot, I’ll have to use the brakes because the car didn’t slow down as intended. Def something faulty and has nothing to do with the battery.

"large" steering angles cut acceleration power A LOT, kind of a preemptive adjustment instead of waiting for traction and stability controls to have to reduce power because the wheels slip. I wonder if this preemptive adjustment might also be done on regen. The last post mentions "as I'm turning into a parking lot" which would fit. It happened to me a few times and I had dumbly assumed that I had pressed the brake and the accelerator in too quick succession and confused the car.