Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reimbursement for interest accrued while waiting for delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone been reimbursed for the interest accrued while waiting for delivery?

My credit union started billing my P&I the day the check was cut to Tesla. The check has been cashed by Tesla and I'm still waiting for delivery. Essentially paying for a car that has yet to be delivered, inspected, and accepted.

That is annoying. Realistically though, the only harm to you in regards to the loan starting early is the opportunity cost on the interest and payments you make. So with interest rates at near zero, long term you are out ~0/12*payment. Now, if you has bought TSLA Monday instead of making a payment...

If your credit union required proof of insurance for the loan, and you are paying on that, that is a real loss (and something you might want to call the insurance company about)

That is annoying. Realistically though, the only harm to you in regards to the loan starting early is the opportunity cost on the interest and payments you make. So with interest rates at near zero, long term you are out ~0/12*payment. Now, if you has bought TSLA Monday instead of making a payment...

If your credit union required proof of insurance for the loan, and you are paying on that, that is a real loss (and something you might want to call the insurance company about)

I agree. It's nothing really...however Tesla phone customer support said I should request reimbursement through the contact us form.

• Love
Reactions: dogldogl
On my S, delivery was delayed by two weeks. I used Chase as finance via Tesla. They didn't start accruing interest till delivery. Insurance company had no issue changing the start date and removing the two weeks of coverage from my policy.

Use a credit union as outside financing is different. They give you the money. They have no idea when you actually take possession of the car unlike a financing company through a dealer or direct through manufacturer that submits docs post sale. When I used a credit union once to buy a car it was a cashiers check, and I signed all the loan docs ahead of time. The CU wanted a MVPA showing I was actually buying a car. They also wanted the check made out to the party selling the car.

Most would use a CU if rate is lower is my guess. So if rate is lower for an extended period of time. Think its worth the difference. I would use my complaining points at a different point of time in my ownership of the car. Like service appointment problems rather than for the $10.

While it could indeed be a sizeable amount, the total amount of payments and interest you make will be unchanged. You will just pay off your Tesla 40 days (or so) earlier.

By starting your payments earlier you will have your car paid off sooner. No financial damage, other than the initial cash flow.

Reactions: mongo