Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rejected 4 cars, was told they would not request more cars for me

Would you reject this car

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What world do you live in where $50k is a luxury car. The M3 is most definitely not even remotely a luxury car. It competes with hondas and toyotas. Heck even my MS is not a luxury car.
upload_2019-8-24_23-35-34.png

Y
Some would say you need to get over yourself if you want to ever own a Tesla.
Ever? Elon Musk said this:
"Our car needs to be designed and built with such accuracy and precision that, if an owner measures dimensions, panel gaps, and flushness, and their measurements don't match the Model 3 specs, it just means that their measuring tape is wrong.

"Some parts suppliers will be unwilling or unable to achieve this level of precision. I understand that this will be considered an unreasonable request by some. That's ok, there are lots of other car companies with much lower standards. They just can't work with Tesla."

So all the fanboys criticizing my caliper, remember your what your god has said. :)

The panel gaps should be better. Is that Tesla's priority? - not really. Should it be? probably not.
I have a 2015 S and 2019 3. I have always thought the gaps on both were fine.
I decided to check and in both cars the taillight trunk mismatch is pretty bad. Definitely the worst issue on either car. I never noticed until now. And I am not about to sell either over it.
If panel gaps are a big part of your criteria on purchasing a car, absolutely you can do better than Tesla at the price point (and lower).
So it is all about priorities.
I think I am a fanboy (heck we have nothing else in our garage) but that doesn't mean Tesla is everything to every person.
Honestly - the software glitches/wiper issues are much more significant than the panel gaps. But no car is perfect.

I have a production Hell model 3 built in July of 2018. The only panel gap I can see is the chrome trim alignment between the drivers side front and rear doors above the door handle. It looks identical to the pics I’ve seen on this thread. After a while I stopped noticing it.

Tesla is not known for perfect gaps! Perhaps one day it will be, but not today. You may get lucky and get a car with almost perfect gaps, panel and trim alignments, but I wouldn’t bet on it. Most likely you won’t. Sorry!

If this is a major priority for you, do not buy a Tesla! Other automakers have been building cars for a century, they are much more experienced in body construction and assembly.

As others said, it’s all about your personal priorities. If I am buying one of the fastest, the safest, the most efficient and the most technologically advanced car in the World, I don’t give a damn about some gap or paint imperfections. But that’s just me.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: KJD and Brando
No car is perfect. You should honestly reject it if panel gaps is a major priority for you. My car was acceptable to me with the naked eye measuring system. Tesla will eventually get better at Mass production, they already have, since my car looks a lot better than what ive seen in some early delivery pictures. My last car was a bmw 3 series and it was not perfect at all either, there were a lot of little fixes i had to do to get rid of rattles and a few replacement cosmetic parts that were cheaply made that bmw revised in later model years and a few service bulletins as well.

I was not in the market for a car, I was strolling through the mall and saw the Tesla store, they were having an event and lots of test drives and I was asked if i wanted to test drive, there was no wait. I got back from the drive dead set on getting one and 3 weeks later, i was taking delivery.

• Love
Reactions: Brando
To the original question, on whether to refuse the delivery or not. If I saw some imperfections that really bothered me, I would ask if this is something they would be able to fix. And I would have them note it on the paperwork.

For example, my car (like many others) had a slightly misaligned trim on the rear left side door. While this wasn’t a deal-breaker for me, that did bother me. So I had them note that at delivery and had them fix it at a later time. Tesla has replaced the trim free of charge.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJD
A car is a very complex machine. It’s a representation of our species mastery of the sciences. Cosmetic fit and finish is subjective, mechanical reliability less so. To switch to a arguably lesser vehicle due to panel gaps is a decision I would not make, but it’s up to the OP as he is the consumer here.

I would like to offer a metaphor; would you reject a beautiful lady because of one small cosmetic imperfection? You sure could, however you would have a non zero probability of weeding out the perfect mate from your dance card.

• Love
Reactions: KJD and Brando
Both the rear gap and the door gap are easily adjusted. Did you ask? If you rejected 4, I’d blacklist you too. Question is, did you? Anyone could take those caliper pictures in the lot and post this thread. Are you for real or a shill?

Hate to even ask, but there’s a lot of false stuff posted on this forum.

FWIW, I rejected a car last year for an unfixable dent in A pillar, so I have no problem with a reasonable pre signature inspection.

Reactions: KJD and Hank42
Both the rear gap and the door gap are easily adjusted. Did you ask? If you rejected 4, I’d blacklist you too. Question is, did you? Anyone could take those caliper pictures in the lot and post this thread. Are you for real or a shill?

Hate to even ask, but there’s a lot of false stuff posted on this forum.

FWIW, I rejected a car last year for an unfixable dent in A pillar, so I have no problem with a reasonable pre signature inspection.
For the taillight they took it in and claimed it was adjusted, but I saw no difference. It was not just the trim, but the whole door, the bottom of the door was lower.

Tesla is not known for perfect gaps! Perhaps one day it will be, but not today. You may get lucky and get a car with almost perfect gaps, panel and trim alignments, but I wouldn’t bet on it. Most likely you won’t. Sorry!

If this is a major priority for you, do not buy a Tesla! Other automakers have been building cars for a century, they are much more experienced in body construction and assembly.

As others said, it’s all about your personal priorities. If I am buying one of the fastest, the safest, the most efficient and the most technologically advanced car in the World, I don’t give a damn about some gap or paint imperfections. But that’s just me.

A Tesla is the most technologically advanced consumer product on the planet. If you're worried about panel gaps you're shopping for the wrong car.

First priority is that it functions well and the features. I do not need PERFECT gaps, just 300% is too much, maybe 50% wider on one side. Whatever is not an eyesore to look at. I would have probably taken it even with the door slightly misaligned.

Last edited:
Reactions: Watts_Up
A car is a very complex machine. It’s a representation of our species mastery of the sciences. Cosmetic fit and finish is subjective, mechanical reliability less so. To switch to a arguably lesser vehicle due to panel gaps is a decision I would not make, but it’s up to the OP as he is the consumer here.

I would like to offer a metaphor; would you reject a beautiful lady because of one small cosmetic imperfection? You sure could, however you would have a non zero probability of weeding out the perfect mate from your dance card.

Who says I am switching cars. I will wait until Musk implements what he mentioned about having the best precision and find a way to deliver to another location, or buy a used one I can check. My car could last 20 more years for the amount I drive.

It is funny that panel gaps seem more important even to Musk than to many people here.

What if she had super hairy legs with curly black hair which you can't avoid looking at every time you see her? And she refused to shave? Yes hairiness is not top priority, but at certain point it can be too much right?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Curious George
First priority is that it functions well and the features. I do not need PERFECT gaps, just 300% is too much, maybe 50% wider on one side. I would have probably taken it even with the door slightly misaligned.

What are your expectations around making the original post? Ranting? Informing people of tesla's poor panel gap quality? Making conversation?

On a side note, there are many times when a business does not want a customers business. for just about any car dealer, if one pulled out a caliper and didnt buy a car, they would likely tell you (either politely or less politely) to go pound sand and take your business somewhere else.

This would be kind of like taking a meat thermometer with you to a restaurant, and checking the doneness of your steak before you cut into it, and sending 4 of them back because you asked for medium rare and the temperature of the meat was wrong. You are certainly within your right to do that, but its also a quick way to look like a $#^^%#$% or in less virtually colorful terms "look very difficult to please".

If it was visible to your naked eye, you should have kept going with that. I dont blame them for saying they would not order another car for you. Its a virtual certainty that you would "continue to be the same type customer" after delivery of the car and they are likely hoping you choose to move onto another brand.

Let me be clear... you are well within your rights to make whatever search criteria you want to in your search for a car. They are also well within their rights to not desire to do business with you because they do not feel your expectations and their product will align.

My BMWs have had much better panel gaps than my tesla does. My wifes X3 is an extremely well made vehicle, its fast, its comfortable, since its an M40i, it has a nice exhaust note when you start it up, has 350+HP, and even pops and crackles when you get on the accelerator. Its a very nice car... that I cant stand to drive since I got my model 3.

I am willing to deal with some of the issues tesla has to have the driving experience. it appears you are not. Thats fine of course, but I dont think you should buy a tesla, at least not yet. I would suggest waiting until one of the german brands comes out with an EV and taking a look then. They will have better panel gaps, and a large dealer network (and likely worse range, and slower, and not handle nearly as well, and a less expansive charging network).

Last edited:
I would suggest waiting until one of the german brands comes out with an EV and taking a look then. They will have better panel gaps, and a large dealer network (and likely worse range, and slower, and not handle nearly as well, and a less expansive charging network).

They are not that successful with building EVs so far. Even Korean brands are doing better job with their EV.

• Disagree
Reactions: North75