Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rejected Delivery, what are my options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Point is, people buying Teslas seem to be willing to live with flaws that are WAAAAY worse then anything a normal car company would deliver. I don't get why people are so forgiving of this disaster. This delivery process seems like such a free for all.

Agree completely.
Taking delivery of a car is not a religious ceremony - it's a business transaction.
Treat it as such!

Buying from Tesla is not like buying from a legacy car company. Tesla will fix it, give you a loaner and offer 'something' except pricing reduction of the new car. Most other brands you never see the factory 'issues' as the dealerships patch them before you see them, but then you deal with the dealership model. I for one, prefer to see the car 'warts and all' and not deal with the dealership.

First of all - BIG FAT NO to buying Tesla being anything different that buying any other car.
It's still a business, managed by people. In the case of Tesla, it's usually people with little prior automotive experience.

My TM3P was delivered with a 5" scratch on the front bumper. Highly visible on a black car, no way any semi-competent pre-delivery inspection would not have spotted it. Tesla did not bother to inspect or attempt to correct anything prior to delivery. They were (and still are) too busy pushing cars out the door to prop up quarterly delivery stats!

The scratch did not go through the entire clear coat (thus can be buffed out, no respray necessary), so we accepted and noted on the delivery sheet. Delivery guy promised miracles, "will be fixed in no time", "you will get a loaner", etc, etc.

Guess what happened next?
Nothing!

Not a peep from Tesla.
Delivery guy never returned phone calls or emails.
Neither did the sales person.
A week after delivery "how did it go" survey arrived from Tesla. I ripped them a new one, and ... nothing.

Eventually, we stopped by the dealership, they found paperwork of the problem, and after much going back and forth ... gave us a business card of a body shop who will "evaluate the situation". Offered me corporate Uber code for free ride home from the body shop.

I told them there was no need to repaint the nose, just competently buff it out, which is not what any profit-minded body shop would recommend since they will make way more $$$ on the repaint job.
After much haggling, the dealership agreed to arrange a meeting with a detailer on their premises (they refused to send him to my house). Only available the next week.

Next week comes, I arrive, there is no record of the previous commitment or appointment.
Oh, you talked to "Bob", he is not here today, we don't have any records of anything.
Are you @#$%ing kidding me?

After about 60-minutes of back and forth, looking for someone who knows "Bob's" cell phone number, calls placed, eventually returned, etc, etc... the detailer appointment was setup for later that day. By the end of the day, the scratch was gone.

It took about a few weeks of customer initiated follow-ups, persistence, and overcoming Tesla's Cheech-and-Chong delivery process, to achieve this outcome.

Bottom line - it was a minor issue, majorly mishandled by Tesla.
No ifs, no buts, not excuses, not apologies.

Buyer beware!

The lack of dealerships is a good excuse but seems like a pretty significant flaw in their model. There should never be a situation where a customer picks up a new $50k car and has to take it right to the paint shop for a week, month, or three. That's really screwed up.

Bingo!

a

Reactions: Gpa9504
So after taking delivery of my car, I was pretty much ghosted by the delivery manager. So much for we’ll contact you to schedule your car in the bodyshop, will all be fixed in no time blah blah.

I called the Tesla approved bodyshop myself and made an appointment for an appraisal. They were really nice about it and managed to squeeze me in the following week since it was just a 1 week job. Even though they were officially backed up for months.

Word of warning: make sure to get a HARD COPY of your due bill. Make sure it is specific and detailed. This was the first document that the bodyshop asked for before they would even talk to me. This ensures that they can bill Tesla directly for the work. Before my delivery driver was on his way to my house, I checked to see if he was bringing the due bill. He was like uh no I didn’t know about a due bill. Then he was like isn’t that in an email. I insisted on a hardcopy written up by someone at Tesla on a Tesla letterhead. Was definitely glad I did.

I called the Tesla approved bodyshop myself and made an appointment for an appraisal. They were really nice about it and managed to squeeze me in the following week since it was just a 1 week job. Even though they were officially backed up for months.

I'm jealous !! Tesla approved body shop (Kniesel's) made me wait 2.5 months before they would work on my car. The hard copy of my Due Bill only listed 2 items written by Delivery Advisor in a very non-specific verbiage. The other 13 items I added on were in email form only.

The plus side of having to wait 2.5 month for my appointment, was the ability to really look over the car. Found several more deep scratches, imbedded sand particles and alignment issues. Tesla added on each item without any questions or complaints !!

If I need something done in the future, I'll be going to Concord BMW (Tesla approved) instead.

Word of warning: make sure to get a HARD COPY of your due bill. Make sure it is specific and detailed. This was the first document that the bodyshop asked for before they would even talk to me. This ensures that they can bill Tesla directly for the work. Before my delivery driver was on his way to my house, I checked to see if he was bringing the due bill. He was like uh no I didn’t know about a due bill. Then he was like isn’t that in an email. I insisted on a hardcopy written up by someone at Tesla on a Tesla letterhead. Was definitely glad I did.

You actually got a written copy of a due bill from Tesla? I tried everything to get a copy of mine and they refused and said they don’t do that. I insisted on at least getting an email from the manager. My due bill says they owe me a set of 19” wheels since they were supposed to come with the car as part of my order. I’ve made numerous calls and emails to everyone after delivery and I can’t get anyone to acknowledge they have placed an order for my wheels. Nobody will take responsibility for it and I get bounced around from delivery to parts to the Service Center. What a joke.

I would never recommend taking delivery of a car from Tesla that has follow up work needed. You will spend countless hours chasing them down trying to get them to honor their due bill commitments and they will do everything they can to avoid you. I like their cars but I would never want this company to owe me anything after I give them my money.

Initially I refused to take delivery of the vehicle even with a due bill for precisely the reasons experienced by others in this thread. I knew once I paid off the car, I would be given the run around. But with the whole MR model discontinuation, and them
offering a free wall charger with a couple of years’ servicing, I reluctantly agreed only on the condition that I got everything in writing. It is ridiculous to me that they would push back on that when talking about potentially thousands of dollars of work.

Glad I saw this thread. I just rejected my M3P last Friday in San Diego because of paint issue on top of the front bumper and tail light alignment (huge gap). Since I am having PPF installed on the entire front end, the paint issue on the front was a non-starter for me. Had it been somewhere else, I could have lived with the due bill for paint and the other issues (tail light alignment, door seal, light scratches, etc.) Tesla was good about finding me another M3P in white, but it was being shipped from Seattle??? Whatever- I have another delivery appointment this Friday for the replacement. I will certainly be requesting a due bill in writing as I expect more quality issues with the replacement. So disappointing that the customer is now the QA department for Tesla delivery... sigh.

Reactions: Leeclanual
Sometimes I think Tesla just keeps recirculating these rejected cars until they find someone willing to take it.
You may be correct. If I reject the next one, I'm moving on and waiting for the next batch of M3's or perhaps another brand next year. More mfg's are rolling out product in 2020 / 2021. I am holding out hope though the next one will be good. I can't imagine that it makes financial sense to ship a car from Seattle to San Diego knowing it will be once again rejected, but who knows....

You actually got a written copy of a due bill from Tesla? I tried everything to get a copy of mine and they refused and said they don’t do that. I insisted on at least getting an email from the manager. My due bill says they owe me a set of 19” wheels since they were supposed to come with the car as part of my order. I’ve made numerous calls and emails to everyone after delivery and I can’t get anyone to acknowledge they have placed an order for my wheels. Nobody will take responsibility for it and I get bounced around from delivery to parts to the Service Center. What a joke.

I would never recommend taking delivery of a car from Tesla that has follow up work needed. You will spend countless hours chasing them down trying to get them to honor their due bill commitments and they will do everything they can to avoid you. I like their cars but I would never want this company to owe me anything after I give them my money.

I received an email same day with list of due bills.

What’s puzzling is why Tesla is so insistent on not offering any concessions or price adjustments at delivery if quality issues are found. This would probably save them money in the long run relative to the due bill, and it would move inventory faster. In my case, the paint issues were pretty minor, but the bodyshop plus loaner is gonna cost Tesla upwards of $5K. I would have taken a price adjustment of half that amount in a heartbeat.

• Love
Reactions: Bombero1394