Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rejected delivery yesterday, should I accept if they fix?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My advice is if you're not happy, reject it.

I think this is the best advice after assessing your situation.

Personally, if I'm paying for a new car and the condition looks like an used car, I would be hard press to accept it. Also, a lot of stories here where the delivery advisor to fix things and they don't log it, leaving you with no options after the fact.

Reactions: 1 person
If the work is minor and done to your satisfaction (2 adjustments and three tiny paint dust spots in my case) why would you reject?

People, you are aware aren't you, that traditional dealerships fix up this kind of stuff all the time too, right? You may think you got a "perfect" car from the manufacturer but chances are it had some work done on it before you picked it up. In their case the work is done after the cars come off the carrier and before going on the lot to sit. Sometimes they get scratched in the lot by people walking by or cars being re-parked, requiring more detailing again before final delivery in person; may times the cars on the lots are also shipped in exchange for a different car between dealerships where one has a customer wanting a particular trim -- so back on the carrier they go risking more damage.

Since many Tesla delivery centers aren't always capable of doing the work needed there for corrections, and the cars get sold so quickly where as they are not sitting on the lot with hundreds of other cars like in traditional dealerships, Tesla will do the work after. Keep in mind these huge parking lot storage areas for traditional dealerships cost the dealership money. That gets passed on to you too. Here in California that storage space for hundreds of cars waiting for an owner runs a pretty penny.

Obviously if there's some big issue like the car was backed into a pole and there's body damage, well of course pass on that one. Everyone has to make their own decision but be realistic about it.

If the work is minor and done to your satisfaction (2 adjustments and three tiny paint dust spots in my case) why would you reject?

People, you are aware aren't you, that traditional dealerships fix up this kind of stuff all the time too, right? You may think you got a "perfect" car from the manufacturer but chances are it had some work done on it before you picked it up. In their case the work is done after the cars come off the carrier and before going on the lot to sit. Sometimes they get scratched in the lot by people walking by or cars being re-parked, requiring more detailing again before final delivery in person; may times the cars on the lots are also shipped in exchange for a different car between dealerships where one has a customer wanting a particular trim -- so back on the carrier they go risking more damage.

Since many Tesla delivery centers aren't always capable of doing the work needed there for corrections, and the cars get sold so quickly where as they are not sitting on the lot with hundreds of other cars like in traditional dealerships, Tesla will do the work after. Keep in mind these huge parking lot storage areas for traditional dealerships cost the dealership money. That gets passed on to you too. Here in California that storage space for hundreds of cars waiting for an owner runs a pretty penny.

Obviously if there's some big issue like the car was backed into a pole and there's body damage, well of course pass on that one. Everyone has to make their own decision but be realistic about it.

And you realize that if your car gets sent to a body shop to correct said discrepancy your Tesla will probably show up on Car Fax with diminished value. Coming straight from the factory with body and paint defects is unacceptable no matter what excuse you want to give. You keep comparing Tesla to other Big Names when Tesla should be trying to go above them or are they just trying to be the next Chevy?

People, you are aware aren't you, that traditional dealerships fix up this kind of stuff all the time too, right?

That’s exactly the point. Dealerships inspect their own cars before selling them and correct any discrepancies before the buyer shows up. That means they are spending their time fixing things, not my time. Why does Tesla expect the end user to do the final inspection and then be saddled with the time consuming tasks of having to come back and get things fixed on their watch?

No, dont accept it. Get a Model 3 that at least has had some type of quality control before leaving the factory. The pointing fingers at other Brands does not give Tesla a pass.

If a $15k car can come off the line perfect, why cant a $50k+ Tesla.

If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. That "perfect" $15K car went through a dealer. It didn't come out like that from the factory floor (not to mention that transporting a car also often leaves its mark). I took delivery of a "perfect" Ford Focus in 2012, but when I sold it whoever was valuating my car proved to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that the hood had been repainted completely. That didn't happen at the factory, would be my guess.

Big question for me is is this a discounted demo car with miles? Or a new full-price off the line car? If new off the line, I would reject it. There is really no reason so accept a damaged car. You might be nitpicking in some areas but damaged paint is where I would draw the line. That said, when you reject it it will be fixed and delivered to someone else and they will likely be happy with their perfect car. The repairs should be done before delivery: before even being "placed on the lot" like in a normal dealer situation, And less obvious things would be noticed during the process of selling the car on a lot (test drives, a lot of eyes on it, etc.). I've said it before but Tesla's best hope for survival is a typical dealer sales/service network. Many problems will go away. Tesla is in a very tough fight for survival. If Tesla can't fix the quality, fit/finish, communication, and repair time problems before others improve their tech, Tesla is doomed.

Every single Model 3 has paint defects if you look closely enough.

If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. That "perfect" $15K car went through a dealer. It didn't come out like that from the factory floor (not to mention that transporting a car also often leaves its mark). I took delivery of a "perfect" Ford Focus in 2012, but when I sold it whoever was valuating my car proved to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that the hood had been repainted completely. That didn't happen at the factory, would be my guess.

Yeah ok.........

Lets keep giving Tesla a pass for not having protocol on doing PPI at the delivery center. This is a joke.

Reactions: Zelfiris