Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

remote laptop work in vehicle accessories

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wondering if anyone work in the vehicle on regular basis? do you have any accessories to hold laptop(s) in place?

saw a couple accessories from google but not sure if anyone used them in real world

the falcon 420 wood panel that goes in middle console
steering wheel mounted laptop holder (too small for me, ideally i need to hold 2 laptops/screens)
thingsgo foldable table

anyone have any experience or suggestion with this?

wondering if anyone work in the vehicle on regular basis? do you have any accessories to hold laptop(s) in place?
I often work in my car, I find it very convenient mostly because you can run the HVAC while parked.
I wish the BeaconX.com/Tesla video conference was available.

About using a tray to put your laptop, I noticed the Falcon 420 which is a folding table installed above the front armrest.
I read about some Model 3 used by Police Patrol, and I wonder if a special laptop holder was installed like other Police cars have one.

However I prefer using the back seat which is more roomy than the driver or passenger seat.
I added a profile which moves the driver seat all the way to the front. This way, I can reach the Tesla display from the rear seat.

I don't have any special accessory, but I was considering using a small tray, a little bit like an overbed table used in hospitals.

An other solution would be to attach a folding table to the back of the driver seat, such as demonstrated in this video:

The only device that I bought is a Power Inverter to recharge my laptop.
I got a 300 W and a 150 W Bestek sold together, so the second inverter was almost given.

Short answer yes. What Ive done so far has been laptop or iPad Pro (w KB attached) in lap.

There appear to be 5 options at the moment, excluding a lap desk ( which could work) if you work remote in the car:

Yep the Falcon 420.

Evannex has an ABS plastic competitor to the falcon (unclear if it works reversed to the back seat)

Theres a folding split variation that takes advantage of the center console and driver/front passenger armrest being level (search amason for tesla folding table model y etc) - just imported from china

Then the common ABS plastic table that sits on the steering wheel

There’s another variation that replaces the front seat seat backs with a fold down tray (alibaba):

What Ive been pondering is working in longer sessions than “short” team meetings etc to figure out what I like. I’ve also changed jobs in the last six months or so - so how I work day to day has changed too. My SO is also FT WFA - and we‘ve had discussions around this so we can take “epic road trips” while working in the car.

For short bursts my lap or the center console is usually good enough. Preferences for working on front or back seats (I’m on the fence here) changes the options a tad. I can see there wont be one size fits all solution for me, let alone anyone else.

However I prefer using the back seat which is more roomy than the driver or passenger seat.
I added a profile which moves the driver seat all the way to the front. This way, I can reach the Tesla display from the rear seat.
In recent months, I've worked out of my car a few times but it hadn't occurred to me to sit in the back. A little poking around and I found this promising product. I suspect it could be made to work with some aftermarket headrest hooks.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Aspirational:
129ADE07-E830-4090-921E-FDD188261AB9.jpeg

So following up - have had a few chances to try two of the options I mentioned.

First, the Tesla Model 3 Model Y Foldable Laptop Working Desk. Second a "Neetto Laptop Height Adjustable Bed Table, Portable Lap Desk with Foldable Legs". I want the former, she the latter.

Here's my typical setup on the folding desk. I dont have a pic of the other one setup - but it was used in the back seat.

I prefer the folder. The Neetos legs dont fully rest on the seat so it ends up resting on my knees. It wasn't uncomfortable, just not what I prefer.

Back to the folder. Good spread of room. Potentially 2 people could work up front ( assuming both aren't on con-calls). It can slide forward a bit so its not resting on your stomach, angling the seat back helps as well. I'd cut the notches on the corners a little deeper to give it more wiggle room.

Comfortable for typing. A tad awkward for writing without moving the laptop over.

IMG_20211028_104014.jpg

Reactions: DK7519
So following up - have had a few chances to try two of the options I mentioned.

First, the Tesla Model 3 Model Y Foldable Laptop Working Desk. Second a "Neetto Laptop Height Adjustable Bed Table, Portable Lap Desk with Foldable Legs". I want the former, she the latter.

Here's my typical setup on the folding desk. I dont have a pic of the other one setup - but it was used in the back seat.

I prefer the folder. The Neetos legs dont fully rest on the seat so it ends up resting on my knees. It wasn't uncomfortable, just not what I prefer.

Back to the folder. Good spread of room. Potentially 2 people could work up front ( assuming both aren't on con-calls). It can slide forward a bit so its not resting on your stomach, angling the seat back helps as well. I'd cut the notches on the corners a little deeper to give it more wiggle room.

Comfortable for typing. A tad awkward for writing without moving the laptop over.

View attachment 734813

looks good! Will the foldable laptop desk work in the back too? Do you have a link or anything to the netto laptop bed table?

looks good! Will the foldable laptop desk work in the back too? Do you have a link or anything to the netto laptop bed table?

Following up - on the folder in the backseat: Wont work. The armrest depth and angle and the armrest on the doors doesnt work at all. I will probably add a lapdesk to the mix to try in the back. Wide enough for laptop plus a couple of accessories, and setup/angled to sit on legs. The latter would be a bonus when you need to stretch your legs, bio break etc, just pick up and set aside. The folder can do that but its awkward.

I’ll pick up some variation of:

Just checked my emails:
At this time we do not have a vehicle-specific No-Drill mount for your particular vehicle, but we do have a couple of universal options for you to consider. Please take a look and let me know if you have any other questions or require further assistance.

The first one is the VB-196, which is our Universal No-Drill Kit. On this product page you will find a compatibility guide that will help you to determine whether it will work with your specific vehicle or not:

RAM-VB-196-SW1 - Universal No Drill

The other option is the VBD-122, which is our Universal Drill Down mount.

RAM-VBD-122-SW1 - Drill Down Mount