Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remove charging cable while air conditioning is on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like to precondition the car while plugged-in, so the cabin is nice and cool (I live in hot weather).

Are there any concerns when unplugging the cable while the AC is working?

I understand that it is using power from the home charger. Seems like the car automatically transition the power to battery pack. But are there any concerns for the longevity of the A/C unit?

Welcome to the forums!

I don't think it will cause a problem with your AC or any other systems running in your car when you unplug from charging. However, I would not unplug from charging when running a software update on the car. The car should automatically stop charging during a software update and start charging again after the update, but attempting to unplug it during the update is asking for trouble.

Last edited:
Reactions: ATPMSD
I like to precondition the car while plugged-in, so the cabin is nice and cool (I live in hot weather).

Are there any concerns when unplugging the cable while the AC is working?

I understand that it is using power from the home charger. Seems like the car automatically transition the power to battery pack. But are there any concerns for the longevity of the A/C unit?
I think, everything is running from the battery, the charger is charging the battery.

That’s how DC batteries typically work.