Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remove homelink reinstall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Turning in my model 3 for another model y do we know if Tesla will remove it and install in my ? I purchased it separately.
You can ask for Service to remove - probably get charged $200 per hour for labor.

I removed it from my Model 3 (2018) installed it to my Model Y and scheduled service. Mobile tech enabled the HomeLink function - no charge.

You can probably skip the "removal" labor cost if you unplug the HomeLink module, DiY, from your Model 3.

Caveat - the HL module on older Model 3 are installed in front of the front bumper steel beam which requires removing the plastic bumper panel. It's a lot easier to unplug the HL module if it was installed under the frunk vs front bumper beam.

20200315_164611_8102.JPG

Yep, hard to remove on a M3, but easy to get to on a Y. Make sure you get the bracket, and the e-torx screw. These are not preinstalled on the Y.

When you want it re-installed, you honestly say you got it from your old vehicle, since they don't like installing eBay modules for people. (They want everyone to pay $325 on Tesla's website for the module)

Thank you I’ll see if I can go fishing
Did you get the module?

See this 💯% DiY install using in-car Service Mode:

• Helpful
Reactions: Jpandes
You can ask for Service to remove - probably get charged $200 per hour for labor.

I removed it from my Model 3 (2018) installed it to my Model Y and scheduled service. Mobile tech enabled the HomeLink function - no charge.

You can probably skip the "removal" labor cost if you unplug the HomeLink module, DiY, from your Model 3.

Caveat - the HL module on older Model 3 are installed in front of the front bumper steel beam which requires removing the plastic bumper panel. It's a lot easier to unplug the HL module if it was installed under the frunk vs front bumper beam.

View attachment 873078
Did you have to remove the front bumper or just the frunk housing will do?