Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing tape residue - recs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Service Center used tape to mark areas where there were issues with the paint. When I picked up my car, the tape was removed (paint issues still tbd likely via repaint). There are noticeable paint residue marks (see photos). I tried using a microfiber and some distilled water but still stubborn. Anyone have any recommendations on how to remove without damaging paint? I have that Optimum No Rinse but haven’t tried it yet on the car.

8EF2012C-B2E2-440C-A6A0-7C564B6BBEB2.jpeg
0F005E07-B5A1-4C70-84C7-1A4C04898A39.jpeg

I generally try to use tape to remove tape residue. Find some moderately sticky tape (whatever they used originally, if possible/known) and press it upon the residue. Lift off by pulling one end of the tape. Repeat quickly as needed. Only if that fails first do I go on to chemical means.

WD40 will leave a oily film because it's petroleum distillates. Isopropyl alcohol is completely safe on plastics, paints, glass, etc, and it evaporates without leaving any residue or spotting on your paint. It's used to apply wraps and protective film directly on paint, and it nearly instantly dissolves sticker adhesives. Sticker manufacturers actually suggest using alcohol to remove them instead of any of the other old wives tale and snake oil products.

Be sure to use a clean microfiber to remove the residue, wash the area before starting to remove grit and dust, and use gentle pressure. This will avoid halos and swirls. Either WD40 or IPA will work fine, but regardless of which you use, be aware that the products can temporarily soften paint, so don't leave it on for a long period of time. Cleaning the area with a detail spray and a fresh microfiber afterwards is good practice.