Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Renault Zoe ZE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow. The Zoe is a tiny starter snack of what legacy car makers can do if they throw their resources at the electric vehicle. Renault (Ghosn) decided that back in 2008 and now the cars arrive. Renault will make minced meat out of their competition in that segment.

Yep - Renault's 110 years of car making really shows with the design and build of this car. The controls look to be well thought out, it feels solid but is still obviously designed to a price. The design team certainly exceded their goals.

They've never been afraid to try new ideas and even whole new market segments (espace, scenic, twingo, etc), so it is great they got behind EVs.

My first car was a Renault 5, which was a lot of fun, and Zoe really brings back all those memories.

Yep - Renault's 110 years of car making really shows with the design and build of this car. The controls look to be well thought out, it feels solid but is still obviously designed to a price. The design team certainly exceded their goals.

Agreed, and thanks David for switching us on to the Zoe. We got the full tour on Saturday (and a look under the hood). If the price is under or near 20k this is going to be the EV to launch the switch-over. It looks great, is really well integrated with the smartphone and the GPS, would seem to be nippy and with enough range, and competitive on price (if the fuel saving on the car's lifetime is taken into account).

We're getting one too big man.

The charger is capable of 43kW, but with a 22kWh battery, that would be charging at a 2C rate. If it was my car, I wouldn't use more than 1C when fast charging, and I would rarely need even that at home. Roadster owners seem to be charging with 10 kW or less at home, even if they paid to install a 19kW HPC. Based on that experience, I wouldn't pay for installing more than 10kW (40A, 240v, single phase where I live) in my home.

I wonder what the max single phase power is for the Zoe.

GSP

The charger is capable of 43kW, but with a 22kWh battery, that would be charging at a 2C rate. If it was my car, I wouldn't use more than 1C when fast charging, and I would rarely need even that at home. Roadster owners seem to be charging with 10 kW or less at home, even if they paid to install a 19kW HPC. Based on that experience, I wouldn't pay for installing more than 10kW (40A, 240v, single phase where I live) in my home.

I wonder what the max single phase power is for the Zoe.

GSP
I wouldn't be surprised if the ZOE would do 16A single-phase at max.

The battery however is leased from Renault, so if you brake it, they give you a new one ;)

I expected them to do something good... With Carlos Ghosn at the helm and only the Leaf and Fluence to show so far, they just *had* to be doing something better.

Voltaire was French so that says it all ;)

I confess that other than hearing a lot of "Renault-Nissan" chatter, I'd never heard of them so was quite (pleasantly) surprised. Not the car for me, but definitely a win for the EV community.

Great price, great job deferring battery cost with the lease
I don't get this, since most people will finance or lease the car what is the benefit with a separte battery lease? From the numbers I've seen the Zoe will end up costing about the same as the larger LEAF after about 5 years, and will cost more than the LEAF after that.
This seems like it'll really compete for the market with the 40kwh Model S unless the buyer wants the size of a Model S.
And the performance, looks, luxury....they really aren't in the same market segment at all.