Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Renew your EV Road Tax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I re-taxed mine again this month, the second time brought forward the cycle from Apr–Mar to Mar–Feb, thinking best so to do in case DVLA realise and change the way it works before next March. Just wouldn’t be surprised to see in March otherwise when renewing a displayed price of £180/£570 commencing April.

Subject to a minor UK gov election of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oxid8ter
My tax was due in April anyway, so renewing it early in March didn't make any difference. :(
Make a note in you diary to do it in Feb next year, ok you might lose out on 1 month, but you should gain a fair amount. You could try again next March to retax as opposed to renew to make it hopefully work, but doing it in Feb should give you a better backstop.

Reactions: garycat
I have just done this - how long before it shows on 'Check your vehicle tax' website? Mine still says tax due Sept 2024

It is processed by an overnight batch job that typically runs between 6-7 so if you do it before 6pm on a week day it should be there by the following day.
If you do it after 6 it might take an extra day.
If you do it at the weekend including after 6 on a Friday you are probably looking at at least Monday for it to appear if not Tuesday

Reactions: Kashp and Pink Duck
it depends. if bought before 2025 - 166 a year.

if new purchase and priced above 40 k - for next 5 years is 310 gbp supplement to above
Standard rate appears to be £170 for "alternative Fueled Cars" which I assume we are. and it will probably go up so guessing it will be £175 by next year.

The supplement was £310 in 2017 when it launched but its £390 now unless EV's are getting a discount I don't know about. That will probably also go up so probably £400 by next year. Oddly the 40K threshold never seems to go up :rolleyes:.

For new cars after April 2025 the first year is is still going to be free for EV's so you pay this supplement in years 2-6. and the standard rate years 2 to infinity.

1710431938988.png

Last edited:
Oddly the 40K threshold never seems to go up :rolleyes:.
Ahh, ‘Fiscal Drag’ our chancellor’s not-so-secret weapon to balance the books.
Seems he’s realised that people actually like the idea that they drive a ‘luxury’ car or have become so successful that they qualify for higher-rate income tax. That or we feel churlish complaining about such things when others are having to resort to foodbanks etc.
When the Venn diagram between the two significantly merges, the game may be up.

Ahh, ‘Fiscal Drag’ our chancellor’s not-so-secret weapon to balance the books.
Seems he’s realised that people actually like the idea that they drive a ‘luxury’ car or have become so successful that they qualify for higher-rate income tax. That or we feel churlish complaining about such things when others are having to resort to foodbanks etc.
When the Venn diagram between the two significantly merges, the game may be up.
Given that its LIST price I'd say we are not far off.
1710490671686.png

This has a 40K list price and is selling for £17K at 1 year old .
At this rate by 5 years old the Annual VED would be more than the car if it was paying the supplement!
I doubt anyone is actually paying close to list for these but you will still have to pay the VED supplement if you buy new next year.
I am assuming a lot of cars will have list prices adjusted to be just under the threshold come next year. But with a lot of cars being leased from new the first owners don't necessarily think about this stuff.

Reactions: thax1
When you buy a new car the VED cost is included. From year 2 electric cars currently aren’t charged but this will change from 1 April 2025 when it will be £180 a year on current figures. The expensive car supplement, currently £390 a year from years 2 to 6, only applies for new electric cars registered from 1 April 2025. There’s a good explanation on the RAC website RAC

There’s two ways to look at the threshold.. fiscal drag, push more people into the bracket blah blah…

Or…

Pressure on manufacturers to reduce prices to stay below thresholds.. blah blah..

A similar thing happened a few years ago, I can’t recall the exact details, may have been the grant that only cars below a certain price qualified for, and guess what, Tesla dropped their price to get below it.

So in this case it’s arguably a good thing to put downward pressure on (list) prices, in other situations like income tax thresholds you might argue differently

My neighbour told me about is solar panels, the FIT was slashed and everyone went “nobody can afford them, it’s already a 7 year payback ”, and guess what, the panels overnight became cheaper and it was still a. roughly 7 year payback. Company car tax is another where the beneficiaries are the leasing companies as much as the employees. If you stuck up BIK the lease companies would magically find a way to bring the net price down to still make it attractive to the punters

Reactions: djtaylor and init6
When you buy a new car the VED cost is included. From year 2 electric cars currently aren’t charged but this will change from 1 April 2025 when it will be £180 a year on current figures. The expensive car supplement, currently £390 a year from years 2 to 6, only applies for new electric cars registered from 1 April 2025. There’s a good explanation on the RAC website RAC
There is a pretty good one in my post three above yours also :) .
When you say "when you buy a new car the VED cost is included". It may or may not be. Depends how you buy and who from. You will pay it via the dealer but that is not quite the same as "included".
It is zero on EV's and will continue to be for the time being but it is up to £2600 on other cars. If you lease it will be obfuscated but it still exists and will impact the lease cost.
It is not not included in the list price of a car though so if paying cash it will be added to the bill unless the dealer is advertising an "on road price" which they may or may not be. Either way you are paying it.