Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repair Costs [for squeaky suspension noises]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently, whenever I drive my 2019 Model 3, it starts to squeak really bad on the passenger side. Not sure if it’s front or rear. It’s like a ventriloquist. Sometimes sounds like it’s up front, other times it sounds like the back. It very well could be both. But like from speed bumps, to the tiniest little dips in the road, it’s very loud and annoying. I try to avoid very bumpy roads for that very reason, however, the road to my work and the road I live on both have speed bumps, soo it’s kind of difficult to just completely not drive over them. It sounds like an old squeaky bed frame. Kind of embarrassing sounding everytime I hit a bump. I’m assuming that there’s an issue with the ball joints and/or sway bar. So my question is, how much would a repair like that cost? Either like a full suspension repair or just the ball joints (front and rear). Even a rough estimate would be fine with me, just soo I know what I’m looking to spend. Thank you in advance.

Reactions: Maric
I just started having this problem yesterday. Thanks to this thread I knew what was wrong. I did some research and instead of paying to have the control arm replaced I was able to inject grease with a grease gun. While I was injecting the grease some water came out so I'm sure that water was inside contaminating the grease. So areas where it rains or the primary cause of this problem. After I finished injecting the grease I drove about a half a mile to a mile and the squeak was completely gone. So if you're out of warranty you might want to think about going down to the auto parts store buying a grease gun and a tube of Valvoline red Grease. Once it starts to bulge and some of that water comes out the problem will go away. $60 and about 3 minutes is a whole lot better than $500 and several hours. You don't even have to take the wheel off to access. Just make sure your grease gun has a 12-in flexible tube and a needle so you can inject the grease.

Upvote 0
I just started having this problem yesterday. Thanks to this thread I knew what was wrong. I did some research and instead of paying to have the control arm replaced I was able to inject grease with a grease gun. While I was injecting the grease some water came out so I'm sure that water was inside contaminating the grease. So areas where it rains or the primary cause of this problem.

Not exactly.
Rubber boots are there to insulate and protect the metal knuckle from sand and water exposure.
Exposure to water/rain on the road is not the problem. Sub-par UCA design and rubber boot failing over time is your problem.
Once sand/water get in, it's only a matter of time before the joint needs to be replaced.

After I finished injecting the grease I drove about a half a mile to a mile and the squeak was completely gone. So if you're out of warranty you might want to think about going down to the auto parts store buying a grease gun and a tube of Valvoline red Grease. Once it starts to bulge and some of that water comes out the problem will go away. $60 and about 3 minutes is a whole lot better than $500 and several hours.

Injecting grease will buy you temporary squeaking reprieve. It will come back.
The ball joint has already started rusting, and there is no going back. The damaged rubber boot will let in more water/sand, that will further expedite the degradation.

YMMV,
a

Upvote 0
Upper control arm squeaking? $8 fix and 15 minutes of your time.
Watch this video, get $8 RedNTacky Grease from HomeDepot (or similar grease, read somewhere marine grease good too).
I modified the approach using an 18Gauge needle and a 10 mL syringe.
I was able to put air suspension in high and there was wide open easy access.
Injected 8 mL (seemed like the max) and it instantly fixed the problem. See the picture. I have a 2018 Model X.
Good luck!

(I donated to his PayPal, cuz this fix is just awesome!)

Attachments

• Upper Control Grease.jpg
    Upper Control Grease.jpg
    460.6 KB · Views: 119
Upvote 0
My 2018 Model 3 LR RWD started squeaking and rattling recently. What do you guys think are the causes of these annoying noises?

Sample video here iCloud
I just had my 2018 LR RWD front upper A arms (left and right side) replace at the tesla SC in Upland for $198.00 . Make sure you know what the issue is before hand and they won't charge you to diagnose to problem. That by itself is $190.00.

I confirmed the issue by greasing the ball joint and the sound went away.

Upvote 0
I just had my 2018 LR RWD front upper A arms (left and right side) replace at the tesla SC in Upland for $198.00 . Make sure you know what the issue is before hand and they won't charge you to diagnose to problem. That by itself is $190.00.

I confirmed the issue by greasing the ball joint and the sound went away.

I got this error when clicking on your link: The requested post could not be found.

Were you able to view my video? Do you think we can conclude that both the rattle and the squeak are all due to the upper A arms?

Upvote 0