Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repeater camera issues. Blinkers seen on screen when flashing.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How did you describe the issue? They replaced it under warranty for you?
The issue for me was that only the right repeater camera show the problem (the left one was replaced some time ago as one day just stoped working). I explained that is very disturbing when driving in the night as that pink/velvet blinking will cause distractions and I upload a photo to show the difference between the two cameras. Mobile Service technician came to my home, replace it in a matter of minutes and it was never a discussion about warranty (13 months old car here in The Netherlands).

How did you describe the issue? They replaced it under warranty for you?
I have to say mine went very much the same way as zef3215 above. I did include a photo of the issue so maybe that helped convince them that it was a defective camera but yeah the mobile guy came out and started right away on replacing it. Pretty much no questions asked. Here is the pic I sent them when I opened my mobile service request. Clearly, they can see the right side is not the same as the left.

IMG_4759.PNG

Reactions: Tevo Solutions
I have to say mine went very much the same way as zef3215 above. I did include a photo of the issue so maybe that helped convince them that it was a defective camera but yeah the mobile guy came out and started right away on replacing it. Pretty much no questions asked. Here is the pic I sent them when I opened my mobile service request. Clearly, they can see the right side is not the same as the left.

View attachment 767310
I did the same thing with pictures but they told me I would have to pay, kind of sucks…

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
I opened up a service request through the app about my squeaky seat rail and both repeater cameras doing the described issue in my 2019 Model 3. I set an appointment up for the repair which was about 2 weeks out. Showed up on the day of the repair, they gave me an Enterprise rental car because my car would be there the whole day. Replaced both cameras and lubed the seat rail which was squeaking. Picked up my car the next morning. All under warranty, no charge.

Tesla parts in the UK have told me there are new part numbers which supersede the 1495865-20-D & 1495864-20-D cameras we thought were the latest.
The latest p/n are 1125106-50-J and 1125107-50-J.
I'm ordering a couple in and will report back with any obvious changes.

FWIW, Even though I had success in getting Tesla to replace the right side for free. I did notice I have a little light bleed from the drivers side as well although not near as bad as the right side that Tesla replaced.

Instead of pressing my luck in trying to get Tesla to replace that one as well I found someone selling a new 1495864-20-D on ebay for $99. It was easy to swap out so now both sides are perfect at night.

So you can find these on ebay at a much more reasonable cost than what Tesla is charging customers and they are very easy to replace yourself.

B.

Everything explained here:
Hi, what do you think of using a soldering iron with a sharp tip to cut the two holes instead of drilling holes in the plastic body. It seems to me that it would be easier and safer at least for me as I have the proper soldering iron and experience using it. BTW, what is the clearance distance between the camera PCB and the inside of the plastic body that your have to cut through? Thanks

Reactions: TomaGo
FWIW, Even though I had success in getting Tesla to replace the right side for free. I did notice I have a little light bleed from the drivers side as well although not near as bad as the right side that Tesla replaced.

Instead of pressing my luck in trying to get Tesla to replace that one as well I found someone selling a new 1495864-20-D on ebay for $99. It was easy to swap out so now both sides are perfect at night.

So you can find these on ebay at a much more reasonable cost than what Tesla is charging customers and they are very easy to replace yourself.

B.

i'm about to do the replacement on mine - did you take the wheel well clips out and go behind it, or just pop it out with a pry tool from the front? pretty much every video i've seen on youtube and elsewhere on how to do this does it from the back side, but there is an official tesla video in the service guide that shows them just popping it out from the front without touching the wheel well...

i'm about to do the replacement on mine - did you take the wheel well clips out and go behind it, or just pop it out with a pry tool from the front? pretty much every video i've seen on youtube and elsewhere on how to do this does it from the back side, but there is an official tesla video in the service guide that shows them just popping it out from the front without touching the wheel well...
I popped mine out from the rear. It seemed the safest way not to break a clip or scratch the paint, etc.

Reactions: crackers8199
Indeed, the Tesla mobile service technician remove mine from the front in just few seconds with a plastic basic tool.

Tried to go into the service center this week to get my repeater cameras replaced - the service advisor said that Tesla released a memo 4 days ago to the service department that said that the glare in repeaters was normal and that they are working on a firmware update to fix this. I know Tesla said the glare was normal quite a few months ago, but the bit about the firmware seemed new. Wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience?

Tried to go into the service center this week to get my repeater cameras replaced - the service advisor said that Tesla released a memo 4 days ago to the service department that said that the glare in repeaters was normal and that they are working on a firmware update to fix this. I know Tesla said the glare was normal quite a few months ago, but the bit about the firmware seemed new. Wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience?
The glare is not normal. Tesla is saying it's normal because all the early Model 3 cameras have internal bleed over of the blinker lights. They supposedly fixed that with the newer cameras. Someone posted a video on how to fix the issue but it's not for the weak. Hopefully this issue will mess up FSD down the road and then Tesla will replace mine for free.