Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replace number plates???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hey

Anyone got any idea how you remove/replace the number plates on a UK Tesla the plates seem to be ina. Plastic mount and then glued or screwed in.

It looks like the mount is maybe screwed then the plate slides in but mine are tight to the point I cannot slide them out?

Any ideas? I’d ask the SC but I’m not goin just for that and I don’t know how long it will be before they take my car off me for all the fixes they need to do.

Thanks I’ll have a look tomorrow. I did have a quick fiddle the front one looks like it’s two parts so that one I guess may flip off but the back I don’t recall seeing how that would pop off but I’ll have a good look in the light tomorrow.

Was nice to have a 68 plate but I want my own plate on it now :)

For what it's worth, Tesla quoted us £20 for replacement plates that actually have Tesla written on the bottom of them rather than "Halfords" or similar. They were happy to fit them for no additional charge as well, removing the possibility I do something stupid and break off one of the retaining tabs. Halfords themselves wanted nearly double that just for the plates

When I got my MS two years ago I needed to change my plates (for vanity reasons) and tried to do this myself. Basically I messed up! So I took it to Birmingham SC and they fitted them for me F.O.C. in about an hour - I have to say that my experience with the SC has been amazingly good, with the possible exception of waiting seven weeks for a door handle repair appointment. Having said that, they diagnosed the problem and performed the repair in less than 48 hours and lent me a MS.

Reactions: Roy W.
My experience the same. Service very friendly and helpful, stuff that I might have questioned was replaced under Warranty with no quibble ... but car has been at service for weeks on end whilst they waited for parts and, more annoyingly, told me each day "Expecting them tomorrow" ... I just cannot believe that in this age they cannot figure out, to the millisecond, when the parts will be manufactured, and available for fitting.

At an annual service recently, nothing particular needing doing, but the boot catch had been failing to auto-close on some occasions. 10 days for that part ... put a fair few miles on the Loaner ... but I'd prefer that all my mileage was in TeslaFi so I only have one data source for Expenses and the like. Proper 1st-world problem that ...

Just a little follow up. I had my Model MOT's yesterday and it failed!!!!! The fail point was that the distance between two of the digits on my number plate was 0.5" too narrow WTFFFFFF!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

So I went to the same place as before and got two new plates, took the issue up with them and was advised that earlier this year legislation was changed.

Anyway, given my past useless efforts, I decided to ask Tesla to fix them for me and voila! bring it in any time to suit yourself and we'll fit them in 5-10 minutes for free. Went in at 14:30 today and was on my way for 14:38 - now that's what I call service and what's more it was free.

I now have to go for a retest tomorrow, which they say will only be for the failure issue and should take no longer than 10 minutes. Let's see.

In the UK if you try to fit normal plastic plates you will probably break the surround/mounts, this is because Tesla use the thin metal/aluminium plates. I went through this journey and discovered it first hand! The plates you get from most places like Halfords are too thick so you need to find a place on line that offers you aluminium plates (these are not metal pressed plates, they look the same as plastic at first glance). They are then very easy to fit....hope that saves others some pain and money!

Thanks for the advice that’s good to know. I actually have a new set of Tesla plates in the shed I got when I collected the car just not fitted them yet as wasn’t sure how but as soon as I get my car back from SC I’ll be given them a change or at least trying :)

If anyone needs one of the Tesla "frames", I have one on a shelf somewhere gathering dust.

My car was supplied with two frames, but the rear plate was a 'T' shape (with the manufacturer details on the sticking out bit) and so wouldn't fit the frame - it was supplied with double-sided adhesive tape to fix it to the car.

Does anybody know the purpose of the transparent plastic film that covers the plates? (Like clingfilm, only thicker). On my front plate it's already started to bubble. Not sure if this film is meant to stay on the plate, or whether it's supposed to be removed.

All metal plates have it. On a normal plastic plate the numbers are layed back to front and then the sticky layer is apples to the back the front being the solid/clear plastic bit.

On metal plates you don’t have the luxury of being able to see through the metal so that plastic is what’s sealing the numbers to the plate.

If a plate is made correctly and with care it should be free from bubbles and if trimmed properly the bits rounds edges should be good but after a while they will always start to look a little dog eared.

If anyone needs one of the Tesla "frames", I have one on a shelf somewhere gathering dust.

My car was supplied with two frames, but the rear plate was a 'T' shape (with the manufacturer details on the sticking out bit) and so wouldn't fit the frame - it was supplied with double-sided adhesive tape to fix it to the car.

Is it a front frame? If so I’d be interested. Got a bit too close to my garage wall at the weekend grrrrr