Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replaced a flat with T2 instead of T0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a car wash shredded my rear passenger tire I found a near by Mavis location with A Continental Procontanct RX 255/45R19 in stock, was towed there and was back on the road.

A few days later I noticed that the new tire is marked T2 while the other 3 are marked T0. My understanding is that T0 and T2 differ in tread pattern, but are otherwise the same tire.

My question is if it's a problem running different tread patterns on the same axle??? To avoid issues i'm thinking of buying a used wheel so Mavis can mount a new T2 wheel to replace the T0, I'd keep the mounted T0 as a spare and be towed home instead of a tire center next time I get a flat. Thoughts?

The T spec is simply an indicator that it's a Tesla spec tire. The number is the revision of the tire. Are you sure the tread is different? The T1 is still sold on tire rack along with the T2. My understanding is the tread pattern is the same but I'm certainly no tire expert.

I was definitely overthinking this, the tread pattern looks the same to me.

T0 below

PXL_20221019_143551646.jpg

T2 Below

PXL_20221019_143540589.jpg

TMYB-C1 : Your question should be addressed to the installer. Online photos can be deceiving.

I would also direct the same question to Continental customer service. Ask them specifically what the difference is between T0 and T2.

It's also possible that TireRack would know the difference, and could answer your question. They have superb customer service.

If it drives fine, looks fine. Then this is just like comparing an "Apple and a day old Apple".
Dont' worry, nothing to get concerned about.
Unless you have proof that there is no difference T0, T1, and T2, then this is bad advice.

OP should ask qualified tire experts, preferably going to Continental directly. They can confirm your advice.

Reactions: Rice&Curry
Unless you have proof that there is no difference T0, T1, and T2, then this is bad advice.

OP should ask qualified tire experts, preferably going to Continental directly. They can confirm your advice.
Obsessing over things that aren't a problem, I don't need any proof other than it is the same manufacturer, with visibly the same tread pattern, same size. The only minor difference is "T0" vs "T2". I spent years in the tire industry. You do as you want, but don't inject fear unless you have Proof there is something here that warrants it.

OP should ask Continental, not seek advice from a forum of enthusiasts, even those that have "spent years in the tire industry."

No manufacturer would change tire designations or labeling w/o a reason.

Not obsessing, just seeking clarification.

Reactions: FlyerDude
OP should ask Continental, not seek advice from a forum of enthusiasts, even those that have "spent years in the tire industry."

No manufacturer would change tire designations or labeling w/o a reason.

Not obsessing, just seeking clarification.
I disagree, the OP should follow common sense. These are tires, not nuclear reactors. If the OP wants to by all means go out there and research ad nauseam. OP asked for opinions I gave mine, you gave yours. I believe the OP can now decide what they wish to do.

OP here 👋🏾

Thanks for everyone's input, I haven't reached out to Continental directly because i don't have time for that and don't see Tirerack or any other vendor having more information then I have already dug up on this, plus Tirerack lists the T2 as OEM for the Model Y.

I did purchase a used rim which I'll mount another new T2 tire on and replace the T0 which will be kept as a spare because i would like to at the least keep the axel wheels identical as is generally suggested.

I just phoned Continental customer service. 804son is correct. There is no difference between T0, T1, T2, the different numbers are simply Continental's production code.

Continental customer service did advise that the tread depth difference between a used tire and a new tire, on the same axle, needs to be 2/32" or less...but the OP didn't ask that, did he? I'm just obsessing again. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: mongo
I just phoned Continental customer service. 804son is correct. There is no difference between T0, T1, T2, the different numbers are simply Continental's production code.

Continental customer service did advise that the tread depth difference between a used tire and a new tire, on the same axle, needs to be 2/32" or less...but the OP didn't ask that, did he? I'm just obsessing again. ;)
Much appreciated

Reactions: Pianewman

It's not obsessing, it's commitment :)

Okay, I had moved on from this topic, but...

Simultaneous to my phone call to Continental, I texted TireRack with the same question. Here is the response I received:

"As long as your Tesla isn't an all-wheel drive model the T-series doesn't matter. If it is AWD then you have to get the same T-series to match the other 3 tires."

I've asked TireRack to confirm this with Continental, and am awaiting their response.

So, the drama continues...

I have received conflicting advice from different tire retailers before as well. Discount tire didn't want to install my 18"tires because the load range was one under the 18" stock tires. But wouldn't admit that the tires I was installing were also one load range higher than the stock 19" tires. Load range is an independent variable of the tire, not the rim size.