Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replaced a flat with T2 instead of T0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I taking crazy pills or is one of those backwards? Tread should mirror each other. On each side.

Well mine is an AWD... not sure why that'd matter, but I have an appointment with Tesla to put on my winter wheels along with address some other things so I'll ask them for guidance on this.

Unless you're going to go WAY up the food chain at Tesla (to the R&D level!), I wouldn't trust what (most? some?) anyone at a Tesla Service Center would have to say about this.

I'd trust 1) Continental 2) TireRack/Discount Tire 3) Tesla Service Center...in that order.

The specs on tire rack are identical. Possibly a slight variation in rubber compound and/or different type of acoustic foam on the inside. I don't expect Continental customer service or even Tesla service would know the answer to what the revisions are. I would be interested though to read any response you received from Tesla or Continental.

I know it's an old post .. but I have recently come across this issue, having to replace one of the continental tires ... At first glance they looked identical..When you look more carefully you can notice the difference in the thread pattern.. but it's very subtle ... Another subtle difference is that the T1 has a slightly bigger side rubber lip that protects the rims ( don't know what it's called ) .. but it's barely noticeable... The third difference is in the inside .. the T0 has white noise reduction sponge material inside .. the T1 has black sponge material.. does it affect the way the car feels or drives? Definitely not ... Here are the tires side by side for comparison .. see the difference in thread pattern..

Attachments

• PXL_20231023_180854872~2.jpg
    PXL_20231023_180854872~2.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 32
  • PXL_20231023_180809260.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20231023_180809260.MP~2.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 17
Hmm...resurrecting a year-old thread with a legit (OCD!) question.

There seems to be a consensus amongst OCD tire folk that the tires that come OEM on most (some?) cars do NOT last as long as the tires purchased, same size/brand, aftermarket.

Wouldn't this be an indication of a possible difference in design, rubber compound, etc? If so, wouldn't there be a difference in how the tires perform?

I know it's an old post .. but I have recently come across this issue, having to replace one of the continental tires ... At first glance they looked identical..When you look more carefully you can notice the difference in the thread pattern.. but it's very subtle ... Another subtle difference is that the T1 has a slightly bigger side rubber lip that protects the rims ( don't know what it's called ) .. but it's barely noticeable... The third difference is in the inside .. the T0 has white noise reduction sponge material inside .. the T1 has black sponge material.. does it affect the way the car feels or drives? Definitely not ... Here are the tires side by side for comparison .. see the difference in thread pattern..
I ended up making sure I have the same variation (T0, T1 or T2) on an axel, but not the entire car. So the front 2 tires may differ then the rear tires, satisfied my OCD.

Hmm...resurrecting a year-old thread with a legit (OCD!) question.

There seems to be a consensus amongst OCD tire folk that the tires that come OEM on most (some?) cars do NOT last as long as the tires purchased, same size/brand, aftermarket.

Wouldn't this be an indication of a possible difference in design, rubber compound, etc? If so, wouldn't there be a difference in how the tires perform?
That's weird ... Looking back at the pictures that TMYB-C1 posted last year, his T0 looks like my T1 .. but his T0 doesn't look like my T0 🤔 ... OCD guys , can you confirm ?

I'm not really worried about how the tires perform .. I think the thread wear will even out after a while ... Couldn't change all my 4 ties because they were in a relatively good condition..

I have received conflicting advice from different tire retailers before as well. Discount tire didn't want to install my 18"tires because the load range was one under the 18" stock tires. But wouldn't admit that the tires I was installing were also one load range higher than the stock 19" tires. Load range is an independent variable of the tire, not the rim size.
i tried to put staggered tire setup on my MYLR and discount tire wouldnt do it said it would be disastrous ... i pointed out that the MYP comes staggered stock and they backed down from disastrous to the computer wont let me do it but still wouldnt do it..

i realize the MYP has staggered wheels to go with staggered tires but is there any reason i cant run say 245's on the back and 235's on the front of my MYLR?