Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement 85kwh Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Capping a 90 battery tips Tesla's hand in regards to batterygate. It looks like the hardware was faulty in every capacity. Maybe this is why they stopped selling the 75.

I don't think any 90 has reported batterygate yet but they got charge gate first. Time will tell.

They had to make a new limited 90 configuration to cap a new battery they never sold limited so it wasn't the service center this is corporate covering it's problems.

• Disagree
  • Helpful
Reactions: BijliZ and MP3Mike
Well in his post it says "81.1-ish", he might have been trying to remember the numbers off the top of his head. I am not sure but just thought.
I have an actual number. I just had my 85 battery replaced.

i did a full discharge 100% to 0%. On the instrument cluster. It showed 60kwh spent.
B18BC204-8F26-42AB-ACEA-DEFE004FDC9A.jpeg

After that, I did a full charge. 0% to 100% charge. 70kwh charged. Time took 2:05 to charge .
47F77D9E-C893-49BA-8E0B-46411E8B121A.jpeg

Good for people who got the 90kWh. Mine is 85kWh
5750B7CF-6BC9-446C-B47B-C6AF3A90B4BC.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec

i did a full discharge 100% to 0%. On the instrument cluster. It showed 60kwh spent.
View attachment 558702

After that, I did a full charge. 0% to 100% charge. 70kwh charged. Time took 2:05 to charge .
View attachment 558701

Good for people who got the 90kWh. Mine is 85kWh
View attachment 558706

Good to know, thanks for posting. Does your rated range show about 214 miles at 100%? That would be what I would expect for 60 KwH usable, 64 KwH nominal. I see you used 329 Wh/mi, that supports the numbers on the display, 60 KwH/0.329 KwH/mi = 182 Miles.

My 2015 85D has original pack, rev E. I have about 72 Kwh usable, 260 RM. From your serial it was made in 2013 I think.

If this was a reman pack, you should have a usable capacity over 70 KwH. New would be 77.5. Some will say calibration and balancing could improve the capacity, but not by 17 KwH!

SMT and CAN bus reader will show what your BMS thinks the battery has, and keep track of degradation, which I believe will continue.

My opinion now is that Tesla is not replacing the packs under warranty, just the bad cells or modules. How else could you have such a low capacity?

If you have evidence that your RR was better than 214 miles on the old pack, I think you should ask for another replacement.

Thanks for all the great info. 2 questions:
  1. Whats that liquid on the last picture dripping off? Condensation from the AC?
  2. If you used 60 kWh but charged +70 kWh does that mean that 10 kWh was used for heating your seats (shown in the pic), heating the battery, cooling the battery, excess heat from resistance of electronics.... or something else I am missing?
Sorry to hear that your usable is 60 kWh on a "85" pack. :(

Thanks for all the great info. 2 questions:
  1. Whats that liquid on the last picture dripping off? Condensation from the AC?
  2. If you used 60 kWh but charged +70 kWh does that mean that 10 kWh was used for heating your seats (shown in the pic), heating the battery, cooling the battery, excess heat from resistance of electronics.... or something else I am missing?
Sorry to hear that your usable is 60 kWh on a "85" pack. :(

1. ac condensation.
2. The true value could be somewhere between 60 to 70. 70 includes cabin heating when charging 3am in the morning. 60 didn’t count the cabin overheat protection when park under the sun. Here in LA we wear coat at night and wear beach short at noon.
Just did another 100% to 2% run. Ised 57.5kwh. Which is 98% so 100% is around 58.67
E217AB15-5514-4A10-8003-AC55F7B2D557.jpeg
887F7B1B-4FD2-4C78-867F-A06052AF5544.jpeg

Last edited:
2012 MS battery died and car was towed to Service on Dec 2 some 5 days before the car's 8-year-from-build-date warranty ran out. Whew!!

I offered to pay for a bigger/better batt than the "85kwh" but they said only an 85 reman off the shelf was possible. Original batt had been replaced spring of 2014 for blown contactor.

Pulling a trailer recently I charged a max of 287 miles and there was still some room left on the scale, but not much. So better than the historical max of 256mi.

Reading this thread today got me to take photo of the batt label: "ASY - HV BATTERY ,90KWH, SA" [or SX]
"90KWH, 350VDC"
"(P) tesla part number 1014116 - 00 - B"

SuperCharger cord gets hot(!) recently, but not on a particularly hot day and not at every SuperCharger. So this is new territory for this car and its newfangled battery chemistry. Big Thank You to TM:)
--

2012 MS battery died and car was towed to Service on Dec 2 some 5 days before the car's 8-year-from-build-date warranty ran out. Whew!!

I offered to pay for a bigger/better batt than the "85kwh" but they said only an 85 reman off the shelf was possible. Original batt had been replaced spring of 2014 for blown contactor.

Pulling a trailer recently I charged a max of 287 miles and there was still some room left on the scale, but not much. So better than the historical max of 256mi.

Reading this thread today got me to take photo of the batt label: "ASY - HV BATTERY ,90KWH, SA" [or SX]
"90KWH, 350VDC"

SuperCharger cord gets hot(!) recently, but not on a particularly hot day and not at every SuperCharger. So this is new territory for this car and its newfangled battery chemistry. Big Thank You to TM:)
--
Welcome to the unicorn world. Better battery, no Chargegate, and recent good service from Tesla.

May your cells stay in balance, and you never need to visit a SvC again...

"90KWH, 350VDC"

--
That's not a remanufactured battery, that's the new 90 kWh replacement (probably an actual of 87.5 to 88 kWh or so, compared to the original 81 kWh "85".)

As opposed to @SevenWithaT's (see above) my label omits the term REMAN, states 90KWH but reduces it to 350vdc from his 400v. So maybe the luck of the draw off the shelf. No complaints here esp since I'm getting 290 miles full charge instead of the historical max 265 miles. But this one is my last freebie:(
--

Attachments

• IMG_2628.jpeg
    IMG_2628.jpeg
    444.2 KB · Views: 70

"90KWH, 350VDC"

--
You're lucky, I did get a reman battery that was 18 months older than my car, and already charge rate limited

ation was similar to Rabbits. My battery simply stopped wo

1. ac condensation.
2. The true value could be somewhere between 60 to 70. 70 includes cabin heating when charging 3am in the morning. 60 didn’t count the cabin overheat protection when park under the sun. Here in LA we wear coat at night and wear beach short at noon.
Just did another 100% to 2% run. Ised 57.5kwh. Which is 98% so 100% is around 58.67
It would be interesting if you could measure the end voltage while charged to 100% with ie SMT tool. I have recently bought MS 85D with 200k km, battery was changed 20k km before on it. I tried the same - Bjorn Nyland's method measurement of usable capacity and drove 340 km using 59kWh from 96% (was not possible to charge more) to 0%. But then I discovered, I'm actualy charging only up to 4,1V instead Bjorn's P85 is going up to 4,2V. That actually makes a big difference in SOC - I believe around 10%. So Tesla has definitely capped those packs also by lower target voltage, not only by reduced charging speed.
Regarding SMT, I have nom cap 67kWh, usable then 63. If this cap is not there I'd believe the nom cap to be 73 and usable 69.

It would be interesting if you could measure the end voltage while charged to 100% with ie SMT tool. I have recently bought MS 85D with 200k km, battery was changed 20k km before on it. I tried the same - Bjorn Nyland's method measurement of usable capacity and drove 340 km using 59kWh from 96% (was not possible to charge more) to 0%. But then I discovered, I'm actualy charging only up to 4,1V instead Bjorn's P85 is going up to 4,2V. That actually makes a big difference in SOC - I believe around 10%. So Tesla has definitely capped those packs also by lower target voltage, not only by reduced charging speed.
Regarding SMT, I have nom cap 67kWh, usable then 63. If this cap is not there I'd believe the nom cap to be 73 and usable 69.
SMT showed that when the car was set for 100% and stopped charging, pack had about 4.18Vpc, and also confirmed when the display says 100% and stops charging, BMS is saying 99.6%

To my knowledge car has only been above 95% maybe 4 times.

SMT showed that when the car was set for 100% and stopped charging, pack had about 4.18Vpc, and also confirmed when the display says 100% and stops charging, BMS is saying 99.6%

To my knowledge car has only been above 95% maybe 4 times.
Thanks for sharing your numbers.. As I understood, you're also running an 85 pack? But it seems it seems to be in much better condition... Which SW do you have?