Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement frunk spring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 483476 View attachment 483478

I've experimented with a few springs and have found one that works quite well. The frunk opens more quietly and can be closed with less force now. When I need to I'm happy to close the frunk with one hand. The frunk also always opens an inch intially like the factory spring - with weaker springs the frunk unlocks but is not strong enough to push the frunk up a bit.

1. Prime-Line Products SP 9605 Spring (ebay/amazon)
11mm x 48mm x 1.2mm

Bought this one based on earlier posts in this thread. Spring is far too weak, unlatches frunk but does not push frunk up.

2. Flexo Springs - MO 6012
| Flexo Springs
12mm x 60mm x 1.5mm Rate 1.67 N/mm

Tried this one, a little better but again spring not strong enough to push frunk up.

[Prime-Line Products SP 9610 Spring
12.1mm x 64mm x 1.6mm
Some people have said they have had success with this one but it's very similar to the #2 (MO 6012) spring I tried and found to be too weak.]

3. Flexo Springs - AM 3316
| Flexo Springs
9.5mm x 50.8mm x 1.42mm Rate 3.14 N/mm

This is the one I'm currently using. It's better than the factory spring but if I could find a spring that's just a tad weaker it would be ideal, ie, one that provides a little less resistance to close. Possibly this one might be the one:

Flexo Springs - MO 6010
| Flexo Springs
12mm x 50mm x 1.5mm Rate 2.24 N/mm

4. Tesla original frunk spring
Approx 14mm x 58mm x 2mm

The good thing about the Flexo Springs is that they have a ton of different springs and they will sell individual springs at low cost (unlike extortionate ebay/amazon prices for 1 or 2 springs). However they have a minimum £9 + VAT order value + £6 + VAT delivery charge - so highly uneconomical for 1 or 2 springs. I was able to pick up a few different springs from Flexo Springs and save on delivery cost.

Also worth noting, the intial distance the spring needs to hook onto is around 65mm and the extended length is around 85mm.

Thanks for posting this info!

Based on your data, I went with an option I found with a spring rate between Flexo AM 3316 and MO 6010.

Grainger - 1NAZ3
| Grainger
0.5" x 2.0" x 0.063" 14.8 lbs/inch
(12.7mm x 50.8mm x 1.6mm Rate 2.59 N/mm)

Frunk opening video

frunk_spring.jpg

With the new spring, I did test to see what kind of weight can be added to the frunk. With a ~2lbs (just over 1kg) weight, the frunk still opened all the way. With over 7lbs (just over 3kg) the frunk only opened a little bit. That bit was still enough to grab onto the frunk with my finger tips to open it the rest of the way. If I were to experiment with another spring, I may go slightly stronger.

Reactions: Gatsojon
Those are the ones I bought as well off eBay. Ordered on 25 October and just got them delivered by Royal Mail on Monday. Got struts today from Amazon and my Frunk now opens fully when you hit the open button in car or on the phone app.

These are the struts I purchased from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XB6GM8Q/ref=cm_sw_r_em_tai_c_tvSWDbM62XJ1N

They seem overly strong for the task but are working. It is just not an elegant whoosh as they open with quite a gusto. Will see how long they last.
Mine are like this. You wouldn’t want it to catch you under the chin!
That said, they do the job and I much prefer it to open automatically.