Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement key for "unregistered" Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the same problem as Tracking above. Just bought a car in auction. Salvage title so Tesla won't sell me a new key fob. If I bring the car into their certified shop in Jacksonville (180 miles away) and pay a boatload of money, and if they decide to certify it, they will then sell me a key fob, (or more likely two and a module). However, how are they going to certify a car they can't start? Do I really have to tow it 180 miles in hopes they might certify it? It seems to me that in order to get the car in certifiable condition, I might need a key fob before the inspection. This car by the way was flood damaged, so it will definitely need some trouble shooting before any inspection, but can't do much without the key fob. I know there is an phone app as well, but is it the same dilemma, in that I have to certify before I can use the phone app?

I also need to know if anyone has experience programming a fob? I have one Key that came with the car and purchased a new North American key eBay but could use advise on programming. I also have the cable to link my laptop to the car and access to the service menu. Thanks.

As far as the salvaged cars without keys, I would first try (and retry and retry) the auction house. People steal these items so many times things like the charge cords and keys etc, are stored in the office. If they are not claimed, then it is also a source of revenue.;) If that doesn't work, try contacting the former owner to see if they have a key. Good luck!