Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing 1 tire 460 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2022 MYP with about 460 miles on the stock Michelin AS3 tires. I recently found a nail in the sidewall and had my local Tesla SC replace it. However, they realized after they had replaced the tire that they had put a Perreli tire on it instead. They're still trying to find a Michelin AS3 tire to replace it with but it looks like it might be backordered for some time. Is it safe to drive with 3 Michelin AS3 tires and 1 Perreli tire? The Perreli tire is on the rear passenger side... The stock tires have relatively low wear on them (90% local driving and 460 miles).

It is never ideal when using different tire treads and rubber compounds. Usually performance tires have more grip but in colder temperatures the rubber becomes hard and grip is less. If you drive hard the rear end may break free, then the traction control and/or stability control should help maintain control of the Tesla Model Y. Maybe you can drive a little more sedately until you can replace the mismatched tire.

Ideally you shouldn't, but it's fine. The car will probably give you a notification for tread depth differences.

I'm running 1 different tire on my Model 3 as well after getting a flat. Same situation, tire is not in stock and no ETA when it'll be. Just have to make do with the current situation.

Thanks for the replies! Yea, I was planning to take it easy on the car until they got the matching tire in stock but it doesn't look like they have an ETA for now. My main concern was if it would cause any long term damage to the motor/drivetrain...