Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire repair & value of a second opinion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a leaky tire (20” Michelins Pilot Sport AS w/6,000 miles) with a screw in it. Firestone said the screw was too close to the sidewall (see pic) and a replacement was necessary. They didn’t have the tire in stock, so I went to Discount Tire who said the tire was an easy repair.

Shows the value of getting a second opinion. Firestone was not pushing to sell me a tire as they suggested I get a replacement from somewhere else.

IMG_4914.jpeg

Reactions: CaseyL
The value of a second opinion... could be worse though.

That part of the shoulder block is iffy. According to Discount Tire's own signs/website, it's not repairable within 1/2" of the start of the steel belt supporting the tread. But, where does the belt start? As far as the picture goes, it looks like where the smaller grooves start, maybe.

So, where the screw is, is pretty iffy.

Just because they did it, doesn't necessarily mean they should've.

Had a leaky tire (20” Michelins Pilot Sport AS w/6,000 miles) with a screw in it. Firestone said the screw was too close to the sidewall (see pic) and a replacement was necessary. They didn’t have the tire in stock, so I went to Discount Tire who said the tire was an easy repair.

Shows the value of getting a second opinion. Firestone was not pushing to sell me a tire as they suggested I get a replacement from somewhere else.

View attachment 954261
Repairable area of a tire, according to many independent tire shops (the central area inside the two outer grooves):

tire-repair.jpg

The rationale is the area that you just repaired outside of the safe area is among the weakest part of the tire.

But it's up to you now that you know the reason.