Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing cabin air filter and cleaning evaporator fins in 2021-2022 MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I washed the car today. Usual hose and spray. There was so much water spraying over the air intake grill. Glad I had the pre filter fabric over it.

No doubt in my mind anymore how this problem has occurred!
I think the filterwears should go in this area... it gives any water collected on the filter surface a chance to drip down to the water collection area down below. Get their 18"x18" filter sheet, cut and glue to that area.
1695532577029.jpeg

I think the filterwears should go in this area... it gives any water collected on the filter surface a chance to drip down to the water collection area down below. Get their 18"x18" filter sheet, cut and glue to that area.View attachment 976647
That’s a good idea. I have a full sock coming that goes over the entire foam lined intake area

Reactions: shawn84 and NarTaX
Where there is a will… there is a way!
$20 hydrophobic prefilter fabric from filterwears. I turned biodefence mode on and the fabric didn’t move. No air construction. Let’s see how well this works keeping water out.

Proper fitted sock will take 3 weeks and I’ll replace this with that when it comes

View attachment 976311
What’s the price of the sock? Perhaps you can set up a group buy? I and I’m sure others would be interested.

This is crazy, so they don't sell the filter itself (1647254-00-A). They only sell the entire assembly (1750575-00-C). Parts guy claimed they do that because its easier to replace. I'm sure I can swap a filter faster than unbolting the entire thing. I ended up getting it anyways since my housing is an older revision. Looking at the new cover, aside from the larger water drainage area, there is a gap below the foam strip on the front to allow it to suck up some area from under car. This should reduce the suction from the top grill and possibly reduce the chance of water ingestion.

filter1.jpg

filter2.jpg

This is crazy, so they don't sell the filter itself (1647254-00-A). They only sell the entire assembly (1750575-00-C). Parts guy claimed they do that because its easier to replace. I'm sure I can swap a filter faster than unbolting the entire thing. I ended up getting it anyways since my housing is an older revision. Looking at the new cover, aside from the larger water drainage area, there is a gap below the foam strip on the front to allow it to suck up some area from under car. This should reduce the suction from the top grill and possibly reduce the chance of water ingestion.

View attachment 977039
View attachment 977040
They are replacing mine tomorrow morning via mobile service. Supposed to be the same assembly. Hopefully it will be an improvement. I’ll try to keep an eye on part numbers.

They are replacing mine tomorrow morning via mobile service. Supposed to be the same assembly. Hopefully it will be an improvement. I’ll try to keep an eye on part numbers.
I will probably just swap the housing cover and save the new filter. Maybe they know the older revisions are bad and making everyone buy a new housing when they replace the filter.

Also, anybody have a favorite cabin filter? Are any of these charcoal/baking soda layered filters helpful or just gimmicky?
See the underside of your hood. If there is traces of water condensation / dried water spots there (just above the air intake grill) , you’ve had water on your filter, even if it dried when you went looking.

A simple test is to mist the hepa filter with a little water and then sniff it. The funk smells specially on humid / rainy days

Sorry cannot answer your other questions because there is no aftermarket filter yet, getting to the drain requires removing the cover under the car, the coil treatment has still not been figured out
Appreciate the feedback. I have done this not too long ago. No smell. I know I have bacteria in the coils. I just need a better way to get to them.

Also, anybody have a favorite cabin filter? Are any of these charcoal/baking soda layered filters helpful or just gimmicky?

Appreciate the feedback. I have done this not too long ago. No smell. I know I have bacteria in the coils. I just need a better way to get to them.
I got under the car this past weekend to figure out where the drain hose was. I couldn’t find it. I’d appreciate it if you could post a pic of the drain hose outlet. As I understand it the current way to clean the coils is to push the cleaner foam through the drain

I got under the car this past weekend to figure out where the drain hose was. I couldn’t find it. I’d appreciate it if you could post a pic of the drain hose outlet. As I understand it the current way to clean the coils is to push the cleaner foam through the drain
I should have taken a bunch of pictures when I had it apart but I didn't. I do not know for sure but when I pulled the HEPA assembly cover off and the HVAC fresh air intake HEPA filter out, if you look directly below it, you will see a black rubber hose exiting the cabin. I believe this to be the drain hose. Unfortunately, it appears to be blocked from below and unreachable from above. This is why in the service manual it says you have to remove the High Voltage battery pack to get to it...... It appear it dumps right on top of the pack (passenger side, front) but again I am guessing... Total Sh!t show
1695699278903.png

1695699105261.png

1695699048008.png

I should have taken a bunch of pictures when I had it apart but I didn't. I do not know for sure but when I pulled the HEPA assembly cover off and the HVAC fresh air intake HEPA filter out, if you look directly below it, you will see a black rubber hose exiting the cabin. I believe this to be the drain hose. Unfortunately, it appears to be blocked from below and unreachable from above. This is why in the service manual it says you have to remove the High Voltage battery pack to get to it...... It appear it dumps right on top of the pack (passenger side, front) but again I am guessing... Total Sh!t show
View attachment 977179
View attachment 977177
View attachment 977176
I am wondering if the best place to access the coil is by removing the HEPA in the frunk and going directly through the fresh air intake. If I only had a borescope....