Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing cabin air filter and cleaning evaporator fins in 2021-2022 MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Changed Cabin air filter, still smells but not as much....:rolleyes:
It's definitely the hepa filter. It's a terrible smell and it started about 3 months after purchasing the car and progressively got worse to the point where I was going to sell the car if it could not be resolved. Tesla did an evaporator clean service along with a new cabin filter and that did not work at all. Not even the slightest improvement.

Thanks to the forum, I pulled the Hepa out yesterday. At first I smelled it and there was no smell. Then I sprayed it with water and still no smell. At that point I was concerned that it might not be the Hepa. I kept it out and put in a modified 14x20x1 std air filter and drove the car yesterday in the rain, etc. I let my car sit outside all day and when I got back in, there was NO SMELL! Hallelujah !!!!

Any day any humidity was present (daily here during the summer months), the smell was present and during rainy days...forget it....unbearable!!! Yesterday was the true test and removing the Hepa was the answer!!!

Whether or not the new modified hepa design will keep the smell away has yet to be answered. But, removing it definitely did for me!!!

It's definitely the hepa filter. It's a terrible smell and it started about 3 months after purchasing the car and progressively got worse to the point where I was going to sell the car if it could not be resolved. Tesla did an evaporator clean service along with a new cabin filter and that did not work at all. Not even the slightest improvement.

Thanks to the forum, I pulled the Hepa out yesterday. At first I smelled it and there was no smell. Then I sprayed it with water and still no smell. At that point I was concerned that it might not be the Hepa. I kept it out and put in a modified 14x20x1 std air filter and drove the car yesterday in the rain, etc. I let my car sit outside all day and when I got back in, there was NO SMELL! Hallelujah !!!!

Any day any humidity was present (daily here during the summer months), the smell was present and during rainy days...forget it....unbearable!!! Yesterday was the true test and removing the Hepa was the answer!!!

Whether or not the new modified hepa design will keep the smell away has yet to be answered. But, removing it definitely did for me!!!
I will have to try this!

Reactions: shawn84 and Bcs1
Mobile Service just delivered the HEPA assembly to me today (P/N 1750575-00-C). Definitely some changes to the cover door, especially to the drainage ports. You can see the new one has a wider drain "mouth" if you will at the top, and the drain at the bottom slants completely to one side, rather than the peaked design in the older door.

Fingers crossed, this does it!

"New" HEPA filter cover:

IMG_4501.jpeg

"Old" HEPA filter cover
IMG_4502.jpeg

Reactions: MFrunkerOG and Bull
Mobile Service just delivered the HEPA assembly to me today (P/N 1750575-00-C). Definitely some changes to the cover door, especially to the drainage ports. You can see the new one has a wider drain "mouth" if you will at the top, and the drain at the bottom slants completely to one side, rather than the peaked design in the older door.

Fingers crossed, this does it!

"New" HEPA filter cover:

View attachment 983584

"Old" HEPA filter cover
View attachment 983585
Nice! Is the part just the cover and filter or the entire assembly (ie what the filter sits in)

Reactions: dmurphy
Nice! Is the part just the cover and filter or the entire assembly (ie what the filter sits in)
one part connects to the firewall (No change in part number)
second part is the filter ( no revision in part number )
third part that is pictured here is a ( C ) part number meaning its been changed 3 times since new.
unfortunately when ordering this it seem to come as 3 parts In one.
Technically people only need a new filter and (C) part…..
hope this helps….

Mine was apparently ordered as P/N 1750575-00-C and came as the entire assembly (front and rear of enclosure and the filter). I kept the original rear of the enclosure in the car since it was the hardest to replace and was the same as the new one.

The part is the entire assembly. Filter,
Housing and Cover. Changing the filter and cover are easy. Housing … not so much.

Unfortunately my hamfist snapped one of the latches off the housing. I’m an idiot. So I have the cover taped on with gaffer’s tape but may eventually have to replace the entire enchilada. Thankfully, I have it…. Just a bear of a job to do it.

• Funny
Reactions: MFrunkerOG
The part is the entire assembly. Filter,
Housing and Cover. Changing the filter and cover are easy. Housing … not so much.

Unfortunately my hamfist snapped one of the latches off the housing. I’m an idiot. So I have the cover taped on with gaffer’s tape but may eventually have to replace the entire enchilada. Thankfully, I have it…. Just a bear of a job to do it.
I’m an idiot too for snapping off a latch as well :). Mine is held by a bungee cord

• Funny
I have a 2020 model 3 with same issue and I have to clean the coils every 6 months. I really didn't want to have to deal with this on the 2023 model s I just ordered... please let us know if this fixes the problem? I'm thinking of cancelling my order and getting a used 2020 model s now. I'm going to ask if my new car will have the updated part.

I have a 2020 model 3 with same issue and I have to clean the coils every 6 months. I really didn't want to have to deal with this on the 2023 model s I just ordered... please let us know if this fixes the problem? I'm thinking of cancelling my order and getting a used 2020 model s now. I'm going to ask if my new car will have the updated part.
It most certainly should! The impart does not even show up in the epc site