Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing cabin air filter and cleaning evaporator fins in 2021-2022 MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Put a request in app stating horrid smell and specifically mentioned hepa filter. 2 seconds later automated response with $61 estimate to replace cabin filter including $24 labor fee. Can't even speak to a human. $24 labor fee is a rip off for what looks to be about 2 minutes of pulling off a magnetic panel tops. Not to mention, based on this thread, it's likely not even the issue but you can't get any progress without going thru their algorithm

Put a request in app stating horrid smell and specifically mentioned hepa filter. 2 seconds later automated response with $61 estimate to replace cabin filter including $24 labor fee. Can't even speak to a human. $24 labor fee is a rip off for what looks to be about 2 minutes of pulling off a magnetic panel tops. Not to mention, based on this thread, it's likely not even the issue but you can't get any progress without going thru their algorithm

The best way to fix the issue I posted months ago in here. All you have to do is turn off the AC and put it on fresh air for a few minutes before you get out of the car. That will dry the evap coils and keep it from smelling. Replacing a filter only works for a little while then it smells again when the filter starts getting damp.

I've also said multiple times that Tesla could easily patch fix this (if they ever get around to redesigning the system so it stops smelling) by putting a 3 minute timer to turn on fresh air when you get out of the car if you have had your vent on recirc while driving.

The best way to fix the issue I posted months ago in here. All you have to do is turn off the AC and put it on fresh air for a few minutes before you get out of the car. That will dry the evap coils and keep it from smelling. Replacing a filter only works for a little while then it smells again when the filter starts getting damp.

I've also said multiple times that Tesla could easily patch fix this (if they ever get around to redesigning the system so it stops smelling) by putting a 3 minute timer to turn on fresh air when you get out of the car if you have had your vent on recirc while driving.
This is not the problem! The issue isn’t with the condenser for many of us . Tesla already fixed the problem by running the recirc fan even when the car is parked

Reactions: NeuroRad
My request was (I selected “other” in the service request)

Replace Hepa Assembly 1750575-00-C

They accepted it and I’m scheduled for the replacemebt

Reactions: dmurphy
My request was (I selected “other” in the service request)

Replace Hepa Assembly 1750575-00-C

They accepted it and I’m scheduled for the replacemebt

That's the correct P/N for the entire HEPA enclosure + filter. You'll want to change the filter and the front "cover" of the enclosure. The back of the enclosure is a nightmare to replace and there's zero reason to. The front was redesigned so it's worth changing, but the back half was not.

That's the correct P/N for the entire HEPA enclosure + filter. You'll want to change the filter and the front "cover" of the enclosure. The back of the enclosure is a nightmare to replace and there's zero reason to. The front was redesigned so it's worth changing, but the back half was not.
I broke my clip :) so there is reason for me to do so. Also I don’t believe they sell the filter and the front cover separately

This is not the problem! The issue isn’t with the condenser for many of us . Tesla already fixed the problem by running the recirc fan even when the car is parked
There is no cabin air flow when you get out of the car. The fans running are the ones on the battery, motors and other electronics under the car. You can see this in scan my tesla (or whatever app you use)

Not sure who came up with the idea that the HVAC continues to run afterwards beyond, hearing the cooling fan running.

There is no cabin air flow when you get out of the car. The fans running are the ones on the battery, motors and other electronics under the car. You can see this in scan my tesla (or whatever app you use)

Not sure who came up with the idea that the HVAC continues to run afterwards beyond, hearing the cooling fan running.
No no. I’ve stuck my hand inside the hepa filter opening and can feel the airflow going in.

That's just the car waiting for you to walk away. It's not programmed to run after you get out to clear the hvac out. Turn off your app and use your card key to lock the door with sentry mode off. It will shut down pretty fast.
you may be onto something. My car is unlocked at home in the garage and no sentry mode either. The doors handles present even if I don’t have a keyfob or my phone.

The hepa intake comes on occasionally. It’s not on all the time. I hear it come on and go off after a few minutes when I’m in the garage working on something else.

you may be onto something. My car is unlocked at home in the garage and no sentry mode either. The doors handles present even if I don’t have a keyfob or my phone.

The hepa intake comes on occasionally. It’s not on all the time. I hear it come on and go off after a few minutes when I’m in the garage working on something else.

Yeah, that's just because it's sensing your phone. I installed a hardwire kit for a radar detector for a friend and he messaged me saying it never turns off. I know 100% it does, he just had his phone in the house was still within range of the car so the car never went to sleep. I had him power off his phone and go look at the car and the detector was powered down.

There's been a few reports of people getting their Teslas broken into at night because the phone is within range from inside the house. The thieves walk up and try the door and it opens up instantly and they take whatever they want.

I broke my clip :) so there is reason for me to do so. Also I don’t believe they sell the filter and the front cover separately

We suffer the same infirmity but honestly — I’m more concerned with breaking something else trying to fix the box. The disassembly is a big production, including inside the passenger foot well. So I’ll live with my ghetto-taped box for now. 😂😂

They updated my service to mobile thankfully and estimate now show’s replacement of the cabin and hepa filter. So we will see.
That is what they did with mine. Both filters were replaced even though I only asked for the hepa filter. The part number 1750575-00-C is the entire assembly - filter and housing.