Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing cabin air filter and cleaning evaporator fins in 2021-2022 MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually no. Doing it under warranty would require me talking to them. I hate talking to them :). They always make me talk to some 22 year old numbskull who didn’t take common sense 101 in college!
I looked it up definitely no college offers common sense 101!! So you’re not going to get that. Better to ask for a numbskull that didn’t go to college.

Hi All,

Just wanted to share my experience with this. I have a 2021 Plaid and early on the smell began on just the most humid/rainy days but over the years got worse until the smell was present almost all the time. Blecch!!

Replacing the cabin air filter didn't help at all, so after reading this thread I removed the HEPA filter and you could smell the funk in the filter itself. After removing the HEPA filter, I did the 14x20x1 house air filter mod and am thrilled to report that it worked!! Huge thank you to the members who suggested this!

Before sliding the filter into the now "HEPA-less" housing, I added about an 8-10" strip of "Duck" brand adhesive-backed weatherstrip foam on either side of the cardboard filter "frame" to take up the space that was on either side of the housing. Smell is completely gone and I can enjoy my car again!

For those wondering, I did try the service request route. They just wanted to change the cabin air filter and call it a day. In the chat they also suggested running the heat on high for 30 minutes. I'd done that a bunch of times and it didn't help a bit.

Thanks for reading and hope this helps!

Reactions: MFrunkerOG
Hi All,

Just wanted to share my experience with this. I have a 2021 Plaid and early on the smell began on just the most humid/rainy days but over the years got worse until the smell was present almost all the time. Blecch!!

Replacing the cabin air filter didn't help at all, so after reading this thread I removed the HEPA filter and you could smell the funk in the filter itself. After removing the HEPA filter, I did the 14x20x1 house air filter mod and am thrilled to report that it worked!! Huge thank you to the members who suggested this!

Before sliding the filter into the now "HEPA-less" housing, I added about an 8-10" strip of "Duck" brand adhesive-backed weatherstrip foam on either side of the cardboard filter "frame" to take up the space that was on either side of the housing. Smell is completely gone and I can enjoy my car again!

For those wondering, I did try the service request route. They just wanted to change the cabin air filter and call it a day. In the chat they also suggested running the heat on high for 30 minutes. I'd done that a bunch of times and it didn't help a bit.

could you send a picture of the final result?

Hi All,

How are you doing the 14X20 size? I measured the hepa filter and it’s a 16X16 square (measured from the edge of the foam on all sides)

Mobile replaced my cabin filter. Tesla wasted my time and ripped me off $30 labor to pop in a filter 1 minute.

Are we able to buy the filter and housing from Tesla? Id rather do it myself than them. the fact they’ve updated the housing indicates the original design is defective yet I’ll be willing to bet they won’t change it under warranty

Mobile replaced my cabin filter. Tesla wasted my time and ripped me off $30 labor to pop in a filter 1 minute.

Are we able to buy the filter and housing from Tesla? Id rather do it myself than them. the fact they’ve updated the housing indicates the original design is defective yet I’ll be willing to bet they won’t change it under warranty

Ripped off ... LOL.

What does it cost for an electrician or plumber to roll out? Even if there's no work to be done, you're in $150+ just for them to show up.

There's lots to complain about with Tesla, but mobile service cost isn't one of them.

You can absolutely buy the parts, pick them up and install them yourself.

Reactions: Yelobird
Ripped off ... LOL.

What does it cost for an electrician or plumber to roll out? Even if there's no work to be done, you're in $150+ just for them to show up.

There's lots to complain about with Tesla, but mobile service cost isn't one of them.

You can absolutely buy the parts, pick them up and install them yourself.
I clearly stated in the app “replace hepa filter.” The eatimate They sent back have verbiage about the hepa replacement, albeit confusing. Had i known they were only going to do cabin filter id do it myself and save the $30. So yes, I did get ripped off.

I clearly stated in the app “replace hepa filter.” The eatimate They sent back have verbiage about the hepa replacement, albeit confusing. Had i known they were only going to do cabin filter id do it myself and save the $30. So yes, I did get ripped off.
No, you didn’t.

They replaced the wrong part, but the $30 charge for doing the filter replacement is more than fair.

I’ll agree they replaced the wrong part but you should let them know they replaced the wrong part and have them come back and do the correct one. Tell them to apply the $30 towards the correct work and I doubt they’d give you a hard time.

Reactions: Yelobird and Bull
Different car same problem…. S,3,Y,X all have the ELON”S MUSK problem. This video explains it perfectly. I have been saying this to tesla from day one. Please watch this to understand what we are really dealing with……..

I haz solved this problem :) filterwears sock on the intake opening!

Attachments

• IMG_2762.jpeg
    IMG_2762.jpeg
    494.8 KB · Views: 83
Reactions: shawn84 and Duke846
It’s a custom one they made for me. They’re sending me a second one that fits a bit better than this one (less drooping). I think if you contact them, they should be able to send you one too (Alan at filterwears dot com) once they think it’s finalized.
I emailed Alan yesterday but didn’t hear back yet. Maybe the weekend. I want to get this on my car as soon as I get it at the end of the month.

I emailed Alan yesterday but didn’t hear back yet. Maybe the weekend. I want to get this on my car as soon as I get it at the end of the month.
If you still dont have the car, I wouldn’t worry much :) I’m still experimenting with the initial prototype and so far it’s not allowed any water ingress at all. That filter fabric is quite awesome - doesn’t suck the fabric into the intake either.

If you still dont have the car, I wouldn’t worry much :) I’m still experimenting with the initial prototype and so far it’s not allowed any water ingress at all. That filter fabric is quite awesome - doesn’t suck the fabric into the intake either.
Did they give you any idea how long the hydrophobic properties should last?

He responded. He is waiting to send you the V2 sock tomorrow and get your feedback and then he can send me one if it’s good.

Reactions: MFrunkerOG