Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing cabin air filter and cleaning evaporator fins in 2021-2022 MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tl;dr: Need more people to make Tesla aware of this. Mobile tech in NorCal said my service request was the first he's seen

I tried requesting warranty service to replace the HEPA filter but no dice. I requested mobile service because I've had too many experiences waiting 20+ mins just to be greeted at the SC after arriving at my appointment time. Also here in NorCal I've had nothing but excellent experiences with mobile service vs mostly negative experiences at the Fremont SC.

Naturally, the first quote they give me is $50 to replace the cabin air filter, even though I specifically wrote in the notes I needed the HEPA filter replaced w/ part number 170575-00-C. I wrote back, reiterating I needed the HEPA filter. They replaced the quote with $900+ to replace both the B & C parts. I responded asking whether they could replace it under warranty, because it was clearly due to a design flaw. No response.

My scheduled repair date rolls around, and I haven't accepted the quote, because no way I'm going to pay $900 to fix their design flaw - or even $260 for the C part, for that matter. Halfway into my appointment time slot, the mobile tech messaged asking whether I was going to accept the quote. I responded asking again whether it could be covered under warranty because of design flaw. He calls me, and we have an actually very cordial conversation. He explained that this procedure is classified as one that needs to be covered by the owner and that he had talked to his manager about this situation, but they maintained I would have to pay for it. I asked whether they've had other cases and he says this is the first time he's received this request. He said he would bring it to their team meeting to see whether other techs have encountered it. Went ahead and canceled the service request.

At first I didn't believe that they'd never heard of this issue, because it's been raining quite a bit recently here, and certainly other model S owners must be experiencing this. But in retrospect, I really don't see that many model S refreshes on the streets, multiplied by the fraction of them that have seen this thread and know to ask for the HEPA filter, multiplied by how many would go through the hassle of asking them, could very well be only me. But I do believe they would do something about it if enough of us asked.

For now I ordered the sock and the dam. Thanks again to @MFrunkerOG for all the investigative work and solution details.

tl;dr: Need more people to make Tesla aware of this. Mobile tech in NorCal said my service request was the first he's seen

I tried requesting warranty service to replace the HEPA filter but no dice. I requested mobile service because I've had too many experiences waiting 20+ mins just to be greeted at the SC after arriving at my appointment time. Also here in NorCal I've had nothing but excellent experiences with mobile service vs mostly negative experiences at the Fremont SC.

Naturally, the first quote they give me is $50 to replace the cabin air filter, even though I specifically wrote in the notes I needed the HEPA filter replaced w/ part number 170575-00-C. I wrote back, reiterating I needed the HEPA filter. They replaced the quote with $900+ to replace both the B & C parts. I responded asking whether they could replace it under warranty, because it was clearly due to a design flaw. No response.

My scheduled repair date rolls around, and I haven't accepted the quote, because no way I'm going to pay $900 to fix their design flaw - or even $260 for the C part, for that matter. Halfway into my appointment time slot, the mobile tech messaged asking whether I was going to accept the quote. I responded asking again whether it could be covered under warranty because of design flaw. He calls me, and we have an actually very cordial conversation. He explained that this procedure is classified as one that needs to be covered by the owner and that he had talked to his manager about this situation, but they maintained I would have to pay for it. I asked whether they've had other cases and he says this is the first time he's received this request. He said he would bring it to their team meeting to see whether other techs have encountered it. Went ahead and canceled the service request.

At first I didn't believe that they'd never heard of this issue, because it's been raining quite a bit recently here, and certainly other model S owners must be experiencing this. But in retrospect, I really don't see that many model S refreshes on the streets, multiplied by the fraction of them that have seen this thread and know to ask for the HEPA filter, multiplied by how many would go through the hassle of asking them, could very well be only me. But I do believe they would do something about it if enough of us asked.

For now I ordered the sock and the dam. Thanks again to @MFrunkerOG for all the investigative work and solution details.
Just get the sock and the dam and either just pull the hepa completely or see if there is third hepa replacement for buy only the filter replacement from tesla and don’t worry about the housing. I really doubt the housing is going to solve the problem…..

That’s absolutely horrible service. I had to fork over $600 to replace filter and housing They wont fix their own defect under warranty. A six figure (at the time) car stinking horribly.

2021 Model S Long Range here...thank you all for your help. This smell has been driving me crazy.

Based on everything I've read in this thread, I added the filter sock AND the rubber shower dam threshold.

Here are photos:

Photo #1 is the original car. Goodness, Tesla, why is the gap in the rubber molding right above the air vents?!

Photo #2 is the same spot, with the cover removed, and the Filterwears sock installed.

Photo #3 is the same spot, with the cover replaced, and a section of shower dam threshold attached.

Thanks!
Brian

tesla hepa-1.jpeg
tesla hepa-2.jpeg
tesla hepa-3.jpeg

I just picked up a used plaid that has this same issue. It’s absolutely the hepa/ bio defense filter. I pulled it out and the smell went away. I decided to try to clean it. I soaked it a few inches of water with laundry soap(gain) and agitated it every few minutes for about half an hour. I rinsed it in clean water, then sprayed it with clean water. Let it drip dry for a few hours then put it in front of a box fan. As soon as it was about 80% dry I could smell the same horrible smell from the air coming through the filter. I decided this was probably not the hepa part of the filter but the pre filter/ carbon section that was the source. With nothing to lose I cut out the carbon media so I just had the hepa filter left. I picked up merv 9 filter and a cut to size carbon mesh filter from Home Depot. Taped the carbon filter to the merv 9 filter then hot glued that to the original hepa filter. It’s reinstalled and so far all I smell is gain. I’m not sure the life of the home depot filter in here but at least I bought some time before I have to replace it. Sorry the only picture I have is after it was installed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    569.9 KB · Views: 35
That’s fine for the filter but the smell will come back if yo don’t block water entry.
Yeah I’m sure , but whatever that carbon filter that I cut out was made of it holds on to the water like crazy. It’s like two thick pieces of fabric with carbon in the middle. The inside was soaked after 5 hours sitting on a box fan on high. Hopefully this will buy me time and it would be easy to replicate if I have to do it again:

I ended up attaching the dam to the cover instead of the hood. I also used the sealant that came with the dam which seemed to be solvent based which should give a better grip. I pre-cleaned the area with denatured alcohol. I am very happy with the results so far. No return of the smell (I do have the -C revision).

The Filterwears cover and the shower dam ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BDV15Q4C/?th=1 ) seem to have solved the problem. I ordered the 39" dam but it looks like now 59" is the shortest available.

Here is my final result:

Attachments

• IMG_8738.jpeg
    IMG_8738.jpeg
    693.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Love
Reactions: cwanja
Does anyone else feel it ironic or odd that the area they purposefully excluded the diverter at the top near the windshield is at the air intake? If purposeful, why? As an engineering I am baffled. “More air” would be a first year response.

Attachments

• IMG_9523.jpeg
    IMG_9523.jpeg
    384.8 KB · Views: 27
Does anyone else feel it ironic or odd that the area they purposefully excluded the diverter at the top near the windshield is at the air intake? If purposeful, why? As an engineering I am baffled. “More air” would be a first year response.
This is great... they were not selling the filter separately before and I had to purchase the entire housing and filter for $260+tax.