Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing Front Drive Unit Clevis (motor) Mount

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks: Apparently if your X is made before Apr 24 2019, the clevis mount (frequently referred to as the motor mount) on the front drive unit is a major cause of shudder problems. as it does not secure the drive unit properly. See: https://cdn.motor1.com/pdf-files/sb-21-39-001-replace-front-drive-unit-halfshafts.pdf and the explanation on page 4 showing how to determine what version of the clevis mount your X has. Although I have no issues with shudder (I drive mostly in Low), I intend to do the upgrade to the new clevis mount version to keep my car current and hopefully avoid future problems. I do a lot of maintenance on my cars myself. I have two questions:
1. Has anyone changed the clevis mount themselves and what is the degree of difficulty? Among other things one has to support the drive unit while R&R the mount.
2. Is it absolutely necessary to change the drive half shafts (CV axles)? Mine are just fine so I don't see the point.​
Thanks in advance to all that respond.​
Bob X​

Folks: Apparently if your X is made before Apr 24 2019, the clevis mount (frequently referred to as the motor mount) on the front drive unit is a major cause of shudder problems. as it does not secure the drive unit properly. See: https://cdn.motor1.com/pdf-files/sb-21-39-001-replace-front-drive-unit-halfshafts.pdf and the explanation on page 4 showing how to determine what version of the clevis mount your X has. Although I have no issues with shudder (I drive mostly in Low), I intend to do the upgrade to the new clevis mount version to keep my car current and hopefully avoid future problems. I do a lot of maintenance on my cars myself. I have two questions:
1. Has anyone changed the clevis mount themselves and what is the degree of difficulty? Among other things one has to support the drive unit while R&R the mount.
2. Is it absolutely necessary to change the drive half shafts (CV axles)? Mine are just fine so I don't see the point.​
Bob X​

So they're replacing the clevis mount even if you don't have the shudder issue?

They aren't replacing anything. I plan to. I attribute the fact that I do not experience shudder to driving always in Low and I have parked my lead foot for now. I do not intend to wait for stuff to break and then look at a mega $ repair. If upgrading the Clevis mount wasn't important, they would not have stipulated replaced in the technical service bulletin.

Bob X​
Just get it done at Tesla. It requires a custom tool to ensure correct alignment of the clevis mount while tightening the bolts. There is special pricing for the fix that includes replacement of the half shafts. It ends up being less expensive than you purchasing the parts alone. Last I checked it was about $400.

Reactions: BobX
I had mine done with the half shafts and although it was mentioned in the notes that the clevis was changed, the part number wasn't listed. I looked myself and it was the old clevis. I sent them pictures and they changed it out. Apart from the squared flanges (new) they look the same, even the part number's the same. The new clevis appears to have a different bushing, which I'm guessing alleviates premature wear like the old one? Service locations seem to vary, but if you're only doing the clevis then you'll probably be fine.

Reactions: BobX
WOW , very interesting. Thank-you Blodg1. That is a very attractive price as I have seen repair costs in excess of $2500. As you say, not worth a DIY repair. I contacted my SC by phone a couple of weeks ago and they mentioned nothing. I guess I have to pay them a visit. I understand that Technical Service Bulletins are vastly different from a recall so it is good to hear that there appears to be some kind of hidden warranty or at least some goodwill. I will post after I visit the SC.

Reactions: blodg1
I had mine done with the half shafts and although it was mentioned in the notes that the clevis was changed, the part number wasn't listed. I looked myself and it was the old clevis. I sent them pictures and they changed it out. Apart from the squared flanges (new) they look the same, even the part number's the same. The new clevis appears to have a different bushing, which I'm guessing alleviates premature wear like the old one? Service locations seem to vary, but if you're only doing the clevis then you'll probably be fine.
Hello: Aaron14902. When did you have your work done? The most recent tech bulletin on this was May 2021. That bulletin gives 1055366-00-H as the updated part number. And it specifies rounded flanges (not square). I purchased a download service manual for my car (2017 Model X), and the part number for presumably the old style clevis is 1055366-00-F. When I spoke to the SC last, the service advisor said my car was up to date but could not verify that the clevis mount was ever changed or updated. Although I am not the original owner, clearly they should have a service record based on the VIN of the vehicle. My own inspection (as per the tech bulletin) confirms that I have the old style. Service advisors can't know everything, when I have the work done, I want to be certain they are installing the new part.

Reactions: Aaron14902
I had to travel to the SC and discuss in person with a service advisor the Service Bulletin that referred to the new design clevis mount. In the end they agreed the mount should be updated. They replaced both half shafts, some seals and the clevis mount for $400 just has Blodg1 indicated. I have ordered some adjustable camber and toe arms for my car. Once installed and alignment done, I am hopeful that is the end of the shudder/inner tire wear problem.

Well, not exactly no cost, I did pay $400. Auto manufacturers have been doing this forever---"hidden warranty" offered to those that squawked about it and/or researched the issue to find supporting documentation. I don't believe they would offer that to everyone that walked through the door but I could be wrong. It is not a recall per se. I suppose a lot depends on the SC. I only got satisfaction when I drove to the SC talked to them in person. Trying to deal through the app didn't fix anything.

Bob X​
If I set suspension to LOW...can the car be align so it doesn't have inner tire wear?

The problem is that there is no adjustment for camber on the rear of the X (and S). It is a fixed arm. So the simple answer is no. An adjustable arm would have been so easy. Running in low will make the camber on the rear worse. Having said that, X's are made to switch from standard to low at a highway speed. I took my car to an alignment shop to have them check the align specs in standard and low to try to determine what "damage" I may be inflicting on my self in terms of inner tire wear. I will post those results here when I have a chance to scan the print outs. I suggest you have an alignment shop check you car in standard and low. (just take the readings, only takes a few minutes). I understand that ideally real camber should be -1 degree. If the change between low and standard is not very great and your car is close to -1 degree in standard, you may be able to get away with the low setting. Every car is a little different. I am convinced, however, the long term solution is an aftermarket adjustment camber and toe arm kit for the rear of the car.

Reactions: Harvey Danger
Thanks for details explanation.
So sound like the front is adjustable in
Low mode...only the rear need adjustable camber?

Can we just buy only the rear camber adjustable link?...this is lot cheaper than ntutive kit #1

I have not done an exhaustive search for adjustable links, but believe there are several options available. Elsewhere in this forum, I am sure you will find other product info. However, you should be aware that the toe adjustment in the X is quite limited. Depending on your existing specs, how much camber you have to dial in, and your preferred riding height, you may not be able to set the toe to the proper spec due to the limited toe adjustment. That is why N2itive's most popular kit includes adjustable camber and toe links (which is what I have ordered). Maybe it will be OK with only the adjustable camber, but if it isn't---that would for me be very frustrating to experience continued inner tire wear or shudder. Here is a table of camber specs taken from my 2017 X and my son'2021 X taken at different riding heights. Keep in mind that the desired camber is -1.0 degrees.
1654389913678.png

Hello: Aaron14902. When did you have your work done? The most recent tech bulletin on this was May 2021. That bulletin gives 1055366-00-H as the updated part number. And it specifies rounded flanges (not square). I purchased a download service manual for my car (2017 Model X), and the part number for presumably the old style clevis is 1055366-00-F. When I spoke to the SC last, the service advisor said my car was up to date but could not verify that the clevis mount was ever changed or updated. Although I am not the original owner, clearly they should have a service record based on the VIN of the vehicle. My own inspection (as per the tech bulletin) confirms that I have the old style. Service advisors can't know everything, when I have the work done, I want to be certain they are installing the new part.
Sorry for the late reply as I'm only seeing this now. I got it done last September and am a little over 18,000mi since with no shudder. The way I checked the clevis was raising the ride height to Highest, turning the wheel all the way left. This gave me enough room to stick my phone inside and take a video recording. You can't see the clevis from inside the wheel well. If you take out the frunk liner and tub, you can see the clevis from there as well.

Here is the estimated cost...$1500!!!!

Does this have the latest design fix?
There is a correction code that drops this bill to about $400 using the same parts though your quote is missing the new clevis. Not all SA's have experienced this repair so the fact they aren't aware is no surprise. You'll just have to push them to research the bulletin regarding the discounted fix.

Written. The upgraded clevis mount only applies to vehicles made prior to April 2019 as those vehicles had the older flawed design (see my comments at the beginning of this thread). I notice in your estimate that there is no clevis mount listed so I am guessing your car already has the newer style. What is the date of manufacture of your car?
Are you trying to find a cure for tire wear or shudder or both? Are you replacing half shafts for a reason--noisey, vibration.

Written. The upgraded clevis mount only applies to vehicles made prior to April 2019 as those vehicles had the older flawed design (see my comments at the beginning of this thread). I notice in your estimate that there is no clevis mount listed so I am guessing your car already has the newer style. What is the date of manufacture of your car?
Are you trying to find a cure for tire wear or shudder or both? Are you replacing half shafts for a reason--noisey, vibration.
Manufacture date is 9/2018