Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing Model S Fog Light.. Help!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

I’m thinking about doing the same. I have a 2016, non-tech package. I was searching on eBay and some of the part numbers I came across were

These are the two that was recommended and listed by brabusamg55:

These just say foglight on the barcode sticker:
600591300F
600591300B

I also found these part numbers. These say cornering on the barcode sticker:
102401600C
102401700C

Is it safe to say that they are all the same but just have differ part numbers due to year? Are they the same as long as there is a led DRL bar in the foglight?
Just fyi, there was no tech package in 2016 (it was discontinued ~April 2015, last cars made ~May 2015). Fog lights were a part of Premium Package then (as was the power liftgate for part of 2016). Today they are standard. Just mentioning it so you don't go looking for 2016 tech package parts. What matters to you you is that they come from a refresh nose car, as the front bumper changed and fog light mounting might have too.

I was finally able to upgrade my foglights. I used the bumper removal guide posted earlier in this thread. Post facelift instructions are a little different. Only difference is that there are a few extra 10mm screws beneath bumper to remove. I didn’t have to remove the harness that connects to the bumper. Instead, I left it attached and still was able to remove my old foglights and pop the new ones on there.

I also found out which foglights to buy on eBay for those that are looking to do this upgrade.

Make sure you buy a foglight that has both the led bar, cornering light and the square foglight lens. The most important thing is to make sure the square foglight has a visible clear lens in the housing as opposed to a blacked out lens. Blacked out lens don’t have the foglight function. There are a lot of foglights for sale that are just cornering lights; meaning only the led bar and cornering lights work. Please see my attached picture.

You will still have to program at your local Tesla dealership to enable the foglight function.

Any foglight you purchase on eBay that has the led bar, will be plug and play. Pre and post facelifts all use the same foglight mount.

If you guys have questions, please feel free to reach out.

Attachments

• 3E1D917E-649A-4D7E-A3B7-BA9A9870B118.jpeg
    3E1D917E-649A-4D7E-A3B7-BA9A9870B118.jpeg
    237 KB · Views: 274
  • 3BF88A6E-D489-43C3-B4A4-510D5145C183.jpeg
    3BF88A6E-D489-43C3-B4A4-510D5145C183.jpeg
    313.2 KB · Views: 243
  • 2C840412-8B1F-4A4C-B41C-2EDAC55D7E74.jpeg
    2C840412-8B1F-4A4C-B41C-2EDAC55D7E74.jpeg
    275.2 KB · Views: 254
  • 5DD6ADCF-04FE-425E-84C7-3E6138A25202.jpeg
    5DD6ADCF-04FE-425E-84C7-3E6138A25202.jpeg
    243.1 KB · Views: 268
Reactions: Ryououki
I was finally able to upgrade my foglights. I used the bumper removal guide posted earlier in this thread. Post facelift instructions are a little different. Only difference is that there are a few extra 10mm screws beneath bumper to remove. I didn’t have to remove the harness that connects to the bumper. Instead, I left it attached and still was able to remove my old foglights and pop the new ones on there.

I also found out which foglights to buy on eBay for those that are looking to do this upgrade.

Make sure you buy a foglight that has both the led bar, cornering light and the square foglight lens. The most important thing is to make sure the square foglight has a visible clear lens in the housing as opposed to a blacked out lens. Blacked out lens don’t have the foglight function. There are a lot of foglights for sale that are just cornering lights; meaning only the led bar and cornering lights work. Please see my attached picture.

You will still have to program at your local Tesla dealership to enable the foglight function.

Any foglight you purchase on eBay that has the led bar, will be plug and play. Pre and post facelifts all use the same foglight mount.

Just bought two fog lights on eBay. Will post pics of the install!

Ok, after talking extensively to my local Tesla Service tech; he was helpful enough to get his foreman service manager involved to program and enable the fog light function in my MCU.

I was charged for 1 hour labor at $175. Keep in mind that your mileage may vary. I called a few different service locations and a lot of the service advisors and techs swore that it’s not possible.

See attached pics!

Attachments

• 4632156B-94EB-4F0F-907F-20F07830B302.jpeg
    4632156B-94EB-4F0F-907F-20F07830B302.jpeg
    235.4 KB · Views: 246
  • 7DD12948-820C-4DE4-9162-083863D7B4B9.jpeg
    7DD12948-820C-4DE4-9162-083863D7B4B9.jpeg
    393.4 KB · Views: 237
  • B2AB5E6A-6829-4736-B232-A987B6D9EAB0.jpeg
    B2AB5E6A-6829-4736-B232-A987B6D9EAB0.jpeg
    720.4 KB · Views: 240
Reactions: what_the_frunk
if you don't have the firmware updated at the service center for fog light function, then the light bars would only come on when you put on your parking lights. I turn on my parking lights (by habit now) every time I get in the car for the both light bars to light up along with my tail lights staying on with my lighted Tesla "T". I like the tail lights always on too.

I believe that if you have the fog lights function enabled, they light bars only light up with the fog lights on. so either way, you would have to turn something on for it to stay on.

Gotcha - I did have the service center enable the fog light button (firmware change). Could have sworn I have seen Teslas rolling around with the fog DRLs on. But could be what you do, which is turn the parking lights on. Also, the fogs only come on when the headlight are on - so it's seems to be all or nothing on that front.

Ok, hate to resurrect an old thread, but I just recently purchased a 2014 MS and it has the black plugs in the fog light housing. This car is the tech package with premium upgrade interior (alcantara, premium interior lighting) and the build date was 11/14. Do you think this car was supposed to be manufactured with fog lights? I would really love to add this option to my car. Can we confirm that the SC can do the hardware upgrade to have the fog light function added to the MCU for a minimal cost? Ive read that some SC's want to charge $2k just for the software update.

Ok, hate to resurrect an old thread, but I just recently purchased a 2014 MS and it has the black plugs in the fog light housing. This car is the tech package with premium upgrade interior (alcantara, premium interior lighting) and the build date was 11/14. Do you think this car was supposed to be manufactured with fog lights? I would really love to add this option to my car. Can we confirm that the SC can do the hardware upgrade to have the fog light function added to the MCU for a minimal cost? Ive read that some SC's want to charge $2k just for the software update.
They can add the fog lights. Should be between $500 and $750

So I have one side done, waiting for the other fog light to arrive. I noticed that the side I replaced corning light no longer works. It worked on my non-fog light so I'm wondering if the light is broken or is this normal?