Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing my Model X with a New One. Seat Choices??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As much as I love my Model X, I am going to be replacing it with a new one because I really want the AP 2.0 capability with full camera suite, etc.

My current one is multi-coat red with white seats (6) and it is just gorgeous. My next will be the same colors, but I'm torn between the five and the six seat versions. There are usually only two people in the X, and occasionally three, rarely four.

With the six seat version, the interior is very spacious and I am just about able to fit most of the cargo that I would need with any regularity. The space between the seats adds a nice feel to it, but the lack of arm rests or any center console does make those seats a bit awkward for passengers sometimes. Have any of you experienced complaints or comments on the same, or are people generally comfortable in the separate pedestal seats?

With the five seat version, the interior might look/feel less spacious, and it likely will look less interesting when the FWDs are open. But additional, easy cargo space would not be unwelcome. I've seen the lightened photos of the five seat version in the forums, but it's difficult to tell 1) what the end result will really look like, and 2) how plasticky the seat lever and base/pedestal/whatever it's called will look.

Any thoughts on the comfort of either (six is lacking arm rests and might feel a bit odd; five doesn't go forward or backwards so there's potentially less legroom), or other consideration that I'm missing?

It'll be another 90D (unless the 100D is released before I order), with the PUP and sound and winter upgrades, base tires, no tow package.

Any other considerations or thoughts or advice?

Thank you!

I may be in the minority here, but I think the 5-seat is the better choice for your situation, which is somewhat similar to mine. While the 5-seat 2nd row does not move forward and backward like the 6-seater, it reclines more and has more leg room. Because you don't need access to a 3rd row, Tesla mounted the seats further back. A 6'-2" person that had taken delivery commented in another thread that he had plenty of knee room even with the front seat set as far back as it could go.

Because you can fold the '60' in the 60/40, which you will be able to do since you seldom have people in the 2nd row, you will get an even less obstructed view out the rear window.

The 5-seater has two floor level configurations in the cargo area. One give you a level surface with the top of the folded seats and the other, lower one, gives you tons more height in the cargo area behind the 2nd row, since the 3rd row seats are removed. My only objection to the 5-seater was that initial photos showed that with the lower floor level, the cargo area floor was open to the underside of the 2nd row seats which created an unsightly view and the possibility of things rolling from the cargo area under the 2nd row seat area. But a delivery within the last day or two mentioned that now there is a separation between cargo and the 2nd row seats. That removed my last objection.

I agree the 6-seat version is very nice, and much roomier than the 7-seat version. But it really is stretching the interior space of this size vehicle. No matter where you set the 2nd row, anyone other than small children will need to stick their legs in between the 2nd row space to fit at all, and your head is going to be up against the hatchback glass. Lost of stores have the 6-seaters. You should go in and test out the space available in the different locations. In my opinion, if you don't need to haul a lot of kids around, I think the 5-seaters is much better suited for this size vehicle.

I may be in the minority here, but I think the 5-seat is the better choice for your situation, which is somewhat similar to mine. While the 5-seat 2nd row does not move forward and backward like the 6-seater, it reclines more and has more leg room. Because you don't need access to a 3rd row, Tesla mounted the seats further back. A 6'-2" person that had taken delivery commented in another thread that he had plenty of knee room even with the front seat set as far back as it could go.

Because you can fold the '60' in the 60/40, which you will be able to do since you seldom have people in the 2nd row, you will get an even less obstructed view out the rear window.

The 5-seater has two floor level configurations in the cargo area. One give you a level surface with the top of the folded seats and the other, lower one, gives you tons more height in the cargo area behind the 2nd row, since the 3rd row seats are removed. My only objection to the 5-seater was that initial photos showed that with the lower floor level, the cargo area floor was open to the underside of the 2nd row seats which created an unsightly view and the possibility of things rolling from the cargo area under the 2nd row seat area. But a delivery within the last day or two mentioned that now there is a separation between cargo and the 2nd row seats. That removed my last objection.

I agree the 6-seat version is very nice, and much roomier than the 7-seat version. But it really is stretching the interior space of this size vehicle. No matter where you set the 2nd row, anyone other than small children will need to stick their legs in between the 2nd row space to fit at all, and your head is going to be up against the hatchback glass. Lost of stores have the 6-seaters. You should go in and test out the space available in the different locations. In my opinion, if you don't need to haul a lot of kids around, I think the 5-seaters is much better suited for this size vehicle.

Thank you for your thoughtful post, and you are right -- I have ordered a 5-seat for the versatility, and I think/hope I will be very happy with it. Ultimately, it will get frustrating if I can't use the six as easily or as much as I like because of cargo space. With the five, that won't be an issue.

Reactions: EVger