Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing Onboard Charger Gen3 2017 MS75D...My Experience (With Photos)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charging for 8hrs now from 0%

Attachments

• BA16FDBA-00D6-490E-836C-95C03F275898.jpeg
    BA16FDBA-00D6-490E-836C-95C03F275898.jpeg
    346.3 KB · Views: 221
> Wife to hold up coolant lines so they don’t spill everywhere

That was awesome, what a great post, and exactly what I needed to decide how to proceed.

My charger (2016 gen3) is also charging at 24amps, and the shop wants $2,700 to replace it.

The trick for how to reapply the firmware was also fantastic. When replacing my charging port, I had to wait for an update. Knowing you can enter service mode and force an update was a major help, thank you!

Is there any value in keeping the old charger? Has anyone figured out how to fix a half-dead charger? I also saw a video that shows how complex the internals of a gen3 are, and wow.

Thanks again for the great post.
In the end, I decided to have Tesla fix it as your detailed steps showed how much time it was going to take (and the mess). I wish I had the time, as it looks like a fun project for a modern car repair.

Is there any value in keeping the old charger? Has anyone figured out how to fix a half-dead charger? I also saw a video that shows how complex the internals of a gen3 are, and wow.

Thanks again for the great post.
In the end, I decided to have Tesla fix it as your detailed steps showed how much time it was going to take (and the mess). I wish I had the time, as it looks like a fun project for a modern car repair.
I still have my old charger in case the "new" one has a total failure. At least I can swap back in half a day (I'm getting good at this).

In your case, I'm not sure Tesla will allow you to keep your old charger. They like to refurb them and resell them. They never advertise a core charge but they will spit some B.S. like "it's built into the price of the quote" Whatever...

Yours will come with a 12 or 24 month warranty at least.

I'm at 9 months with mine and I haven't had any errors pop up yet.

I finally had the chance to install my $400 junkyard charger. Everything went perfect! Back to charging at 48 amps. Thank you for taking the time to write up these instructions. Saved me $2500. On a side note, with Tesla removing geofencing, you can now put your car in service mode from anywhere. This saved me a lot of time. Thanks again!

My 2017 Model S (manufactured in May) has only half the 48A charge rate. Tesla quotes part KIT,SERVICE,GEN3 CHRG SYS,48A,1PH(1035647- 02-F). Is there a way to confirm this is XS 1-1 or other?
If Tesla is installing it, I wouldn't question it, as it will have to work before it comes back to you. It seems the XS2-1 might work for some. It just didn't for me. Tesla has access to a lot more tools and is able to change configs to suit whatever they install.

If you don't mind me asking, what are they charging to replace these now? It seems like this is going to be a pretty common problem as our cars age.

Of course, I would look for one from another source. I was trying to determine if this part number helps constrain which ones I should consider (without having to pull out the seat to check first.
It doesn't. I had an XS1-1 and XS2-1 with exactly the same part/revision code on it. The seller I bought it from had 10 chargers with the same part numbers. 3 of the chargers were XS2-1. Still can't figure out what exactly the difference is.

There's a chance the XS2-1 that I got was just a faulty charger but I couldn't prove it. I sent it back (I paid shipping) and he sent me an XS1-1 and it worked as soon as I pushed the firmware update to the car.

Reactions: john pane
Very interesting post on here. I am currently working on a process to be able to replace these for the fraction of a price than tesla does them. I will be working to see if I can do these on Model 3 as well.

Thank you for a lot of useful information.

I hope we can find what breaks on these to be able to save even more money on fixing this.. Ridiculous tesla costs for replacements

Very interesting post on here. I am currently working on a process to be able to replace these for the fraction of a price than tesla does them. I will be working to see if I can do these on Model 3 as well.

Thank you for a lot of useful information.

I hope we can find what breaks on these to be able to save even more money on fixing this.. Ridiculous tesla costs for replacements
Yea...the insides of these things are super dense. There's a video of a guy ripping apart a V3 charger to use for a hobby project. It didn't look fun at all.

Right now, the most cost effective way to replace this is junkyard pulls or eBay pulls. Usually $350-800.

Yeh, I have been looking to replace the charger on the car I have and the only replacement here in EU matching what I need is nearly EUR2000, others are cheaper but look water damaged. Even if its just changed with a used one then how long would it work for? Whilst searching i didnt find them failing a lot so perhaps changing with another one from a salvaged car would be enough. But all glory for the research :D

Yeh, I have been looking to replace the charger on the car I have and the only replacement here in EU matching what I need is nearly EUR2000, others are cheaper but look water damaged. Even if its just changed with a used one then how long would it work for? Whilst searching i didnt find them failing a lot so perhaps changing with another one from a salvaged car would be enough. But all glory for the research :D
Yup. I thought the same thing about how long it will last, but for $350, I can replace it 8 times and still be under what Tesla charges for a refurb unit. Lol.